Testing the percentage of sodium hypochlorite

Chalkiebrown

May 27, 2019
Ohio
Odd question here but, does anyone know if it is possible to test the % of sodium hypochlorite in bleach with a Taylor k-2006 test kit?

I recently had a single bottle out of a case that had zero %. I feel like the other bottles are slightly off as well. Trying to find out if I can test this so I will know to switch brands.

Thanks for any help!

Testing, if even possible, would be something that perhaps @Donldson could confirm. In the meantime, did you happen to get the Julian dates on those bottles? If nothing else, the age of the chlorine/bleach helps to give us a slightly better idea if its remaining strength.

Curious, what brand did you get there in your area? @Donldson may have personal experience with that manufacture.
It’s under the Maintain pool pro brand name. Sold by Haviland consumer products out of Michigan. I called haviland and they gave me a name and number of the distributor out of Cincinnati who I spoke with and they told me that they were going to reach out to the manufacturer and follow up with me. We had a long conversation which started off interesting but went great once he figured out he knew I had knowledge of how everything works. Haven’t heard back yet but it has only been about 5 days

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks for sharing James. I don’t think I want to buy that kit just because I am curious though.
I was posting to see if anyone has ever tried with the k-2006 kit. I would think that it would have to be diluted so much that it would not be possible or really even that accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add 1mL of the LC to 100mL of distilled water. Swirl to mix. Add 1mL of the resulting mixture to 100mL of fresh distilled water. Swirl to mix. Use the DPD-FAS titration to get the resulting ppm’s of FC. The number of ppm’s is roughly equivalent to the bleach percentage.

It’s a rough estimate. So if your result comes close to 10ppm (10%), then I would say your LC is good. If you get zero FC or very low, like one or two drops, then something is wrong.

Use distilled water only and do the test immediately. There’s no need to do extensive mixing.

And if your LC is good but FC is disappearing in your pool them you’ve probably got algae to deal with.

@ajw22 It may be useful to put post 12 and 14 into the wiki’s liquids chlorine page. The 0.1ml of LC to 1 liter distilled recipe a search found my be a little hard to do.

And if your LC is good but FC is disappearing in your pool them you’ve probably got algae to deal with.

@ajw22 It may be useful to put post 12 and 14 into the wiki’s liquids chlorine page. The 0.1ml of LC to 1 liter distilled recipe a search found my be a little hard to do.
I don’t have an algae prob. Pool is crystal clear like it always stays (thanks to TFP). I test very often and know exactly what is in the pool. I may need to replace the pump but that is a non related issue imo. And I am 100% positive I had a bottle with zero % sod cloride

I don’t have an algae prob. Pool is crystal clear like it always stays (thanks to TFP). I test very often and know exactly what is in the pool. I may need to replace the pump but that is a non related issue imo. And I am 100% positive I had a bottle with zero % sod cloride
I will add that it isn’t disappearing, but yet I don’t think it is coming up to the ppm I expect after adding.

It’s a rough estimate. So if your result comes close to 10ppm (10%), then I would say your LC is good. If you get zero FC or very low, like one or two drops, then something is wrong.

Use distilled water only and do the test immediately. There’s no need to do extensive mixing.
I did not have any distilled water on hand. After testing with bottled water it spit out 14.5%.

I will test with distilled once we make it to the store

Reactions: JamesW
Do you have issue with the mL calculation?
No. I’m sure I’ve seen your question asked before and thought the answer would be in the wiki. A google search came up with the recipe that starts with 0.1ml which could be a bit tricky to measure out. Matt’s method would be easier and I’ve asked ajw22 if he could put it in the wiki for future reference. We’re all good. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.