Testing the percentage of sodium hypochlorite

Ok, back to original basis on the thread. I have a new brand of bleach. After two days of use I am back on a basic schedule of using about 4 ppm of FC per day. I am pretty confident in saying that I was correct about the bleach being compromised in some way and not at a full 10%. But I will give it a few days
After several days, I am back to using a normal amount of bleach per day. I won’t be buying the brand of bleach that gave me problems for those few weeks.

Thanks for everyone who had input on this.

I learned a lot about CC from this thread! It has me thinking about gross things! Couple questions:

1. Is there a 1:1 relationship between a given PPM of FC and when it becomes CC? In other words, if I have 10 FC and dump in enough pee to create 1 CC, is my FC 9 or somewhere less as part of that reaction?

2. Is it possible to predict the amount of FC usage per pee incident? In other words, if I know I have enough kids in for the day that will combine to pee, say, 3 times, I should raise my FC by X PPM to kick things off. “Half a gallon” is of course a simple approach but this is The Deep End! I wonder how much of my preventive dose is lost to sun versus doing its job on the gross neighborhood kids (AKA my kids).

I wonder how much of my preventive dose is lost to sun versus doing its job on the gross neighborhood kids (AKA my kids).
Theres too many variables day to day. Last time had more clouds, this time each kid peed twice, or the number of swimmer hours fluctuates instead.

Reactions: blackout
I learned a lot about CC from this thread! It has me thinking about gross things! Couple questions:

1. Is there a 1:1 relationship between a given PPM of FC and when it becomes CC? In other words, if I have 10 FC and dump in enough pee to create 1 CC, is my FC 9 or somewhere less as part of that reaction?

2. Is it possible to predict the amount of FC usage per pee incident? In other words, if I know I have enough kids in for the day that will combine to pee, say, 3 times, I should raise my FC by X PPM to kick things off. “Half a gallon” is of course a simple approach but this is The Deep End! I wonder how much of my preventive dose is lost to sun versus doing its job on the gross neighborhood kids (AKA my kids).

Same, too hard to predict. You would be better of testing your FC after a heavy bather load event and dose enough to get back to your target range. That dose could be used as a bench mark for future events. As you creep over the 10% CF/CyA % ratio a little more FC will be exposed to UV lose and in a small way will tend to bring thinks back to balance.

Chem Geek once gave an estimation on the FC consumption by urine in this thread:

You can scale that to your pool volume.

This only tells you how much FC you lose. How much of that you see as CC is another question. As long as FC remains high enough, CC will eventually disappear, so it's not really helpful to calculate the amount of CC created along the way.

Chem Geek once gave an estimation on the FC consumption by urine in this thread:

You can scale that to your pool volume.

This only tells you how much FC you lose. How much of that you see as CC is another question. As long as FC remains high enough, CC will eventually disappear, so it's not really helpful to calculate the amount of CC created along the way.
Awesome! The math side of my brain is soothed by this!

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.