In The Industry
May 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a HASA Liquidator and am trying to test the Cl ppm with TF-100. First test with heaping spoon of reagent wouldn't turn water pink so I added a little more and it turned brownish so I added more and got dark pink. Tried using the drops as instructed to titrate and it never would turn clear. Cleaned everything and restarted test again and went up to 40 drops of reagent to titrate and still nothing. I have ~ 3 gallons of 12.5 HASA Cl in the Liquidator and I scooped the water from just below surface where the suction line gets it. Any ideas what I am doing wrong and why I can't get a reading? Is the ppm just too high to measure? Thanks, GlennScreenshot_20190622-175447.jpg

The water on top of the liquid chlorine is going to be too highly concentrated for DPD testing. DPD is not meant for that. To assay hypochlorite concentration when the amounts are near the % level, you have to use a different test method based on starch/iodine & thiosulfate titration. Taylor sells a kit for that and it’s used by commercial bleach manufacturers to assay hypochlorite in bleach production.

Reactions: MrXYZ123
Welcome to the forum!
I assume you are testing your pool water? Confirm that --
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thanks, I’ve read it. After reviewing my post I see I could have been a little more specific... I’m testing the water in the liquidator. Looks like JoyfulNoise answered so I’m good now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.