Test Results

Definitely time for SLAM Process
Test & replenish fc to slam level for your cya as often as you can- every hour is great if u can but if not, at least 4x’s a day.
It is safe to swim with fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as u can see the pool bottom for safety purposes.
Brush & or vacuum daily, clean/backwash the filter when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure, look for & scrub any possible algae hiding places (light niches, ladder rails, drain covers, unused ports, etc.)
Run all water features for at least an hour every day.
The key to the SLAM Process is Maintaining slam level fc until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.
The more often u test & replenish, the faster it will go.

Reactions: jigneshsoni
OK so I had put 3.5 Gallons of LC 1 hour back.
I just now tested the FC. It shows 11.5 at this point. My SLAM level is supposed to be 16.
So if I understand this correct I have to bring this back to 16. Based on Pool Math...I have to add 1 Gallon of LC now. I am going to do this right now and again test it after 1 hour.

Please let me know if I am getting this right. I really want those Algae out of my pool ASAP. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes - you’ve got the idea! Keep replenishing to slam level as often as u can. Every hour is great 👍🏻 if u want to check the potency of your liquid chlorine u can re test in 30 minutes. Some places store their chlorine in hot places which can degrade it some. If u don’t see the rise u expect- adjust your dosing going forward so u ensure you are reaching slam level.
Also, how sure are u about your pool’s volume?

U can use the calculator at the bottom of this page using your average pool depth
👇
& u can also try this one & maybe average the two results to get a better idea
👇

Just did another test almost after 1 1/2 hour. The FC showed 17. I feel good it showed higher number for the first time. I intend to test again after 1 hour and throw in more LC if it has dipped below 16. I will do the same right before going to sleep between 9-10pm.....Then check again first things in the morning.

Am I doing everything right so far? I am sorry for asking and confirming multiple times, I just want to be sure I am not missing something important.

Also, what if after several hours...and even tomorrow morning my FC levels are still at around 12-13....and all looks good with respect to qualify for ending the SLAM process.

When can we swim in the pool? If FC is 12-13 levels....would this not be very high? At that point do I have to bring it low? What is safe FC level to be able to swim in the pool? Is there a range?

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just did another test almost after 1 1/2 hour. The FC showed 17. I feel good it showed higher number for the first time. I intend to test again after 1 hour and throw in more LC if it has dipped below 16. I will do the same right before going to sleep between 9-10pm.....Then check again first things in the morning.

Am I doing everything right so far? I am sorry for asking and confirming multiple times, I just want to be sure I am not missing something important.

Also, what if after several hours...and even tomorrow morning my FC levels are still at around 12-13....and all looks good with respect to qualify for ending the SLAM process.

When can we swim in the pool? If FC is 12-13 levels....would this not be very high? At that point do I have to bring it low? What is safe FC level to be able to swim in the pool? Is there a range?
You continue until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria
You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear
(Crystal Clear & NO visible algae dead or alive)

It is safe to swim at fc levels anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels
So long as you can see the bottom of the deep end for safety purposes.

You can swim now. Anything at SLAM level or below is safe.

OK. So I just did the test right now. My CC is at 0.5. My FC is 13.5.
So to get from 13.5 to 16 again on my 28K pool with CYA at 40....based on pool math....I needed to added little over 0.5 Gallon of LC.
So I just added around 0.6 Gallon of LC.

I will check again in around 1-2 hours right before I go to sleep and adjust the FC. Thanks again for all the help.

Reactions: Mdragger88
so based on last few hours of testing, it seems like at this point....I am losing around 1.1ppm per hour of FC. So basically if I bring my FC to around 16 before I go to sleep, there is a good chance that when I wake up and test again (around after 9 hours) my FC might most likely have dropped by around 10ppm.....so I might see my FC around 6ppm in the morning. Is this math correct?

Is this math correct?
The rate of FC drop varies drastically between day & night. With no sunlight to compete with, the chlorine can focus on organics. Even then, the drop rate of FC isn't the same each hour. I wouldn't try to over-think the process. You're on the right track with lots of great coaching along the way. As you said above, you'll check/adjust the FC one more time before bed and that's all you can do. Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks all for the help. Like I had mentioned. Its around 10:35pm right now and I just checked it. To me surprise the FC was at around 17. So I am not going to put any chlorine any further. Seems like I barely lost anything at all in last 2+ hours. Seems like this is a very good thing.

Next test around 6am tomorrow. Good Night and thanks again for everything.

Tested at 6:40am. FC was 14. To bring to 16. I added around 1/2 gallon on LC.
Sounds like things are stabilizing better for you. Now is the point in the SLAM Process where the little details become important. While you do your best to maintain the FC level, be critical of any/all areas in the pool that water touches for any place where algae can hide or needs to be brushed. Steps, ladders, seams, behind lights, under a main drain cover, skimmer housing, etc. Those details can help get you through this.

Don’t forget the spa too! They can have a lack of circulation so be sure slam water is going through there & the spillover. Check all the little jets (they are generally removable)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.