Test Results

If the dot disappears “with a glance “ between 30 & 40 - round up & call it 40ppm. There are no in betweens w/ the cya test (you cannot extrapolate between the lines). Always round up - this ensures you chlorinate properly.
For chlorine you need to use the fas/dpd test. There are 2 reagents & dpd powder. This tests FC 1st & then CC’s
Not the OTO test (yellow drops) which onlt tests total chlorine.
Adding the gallon of liquid chlorine tonight was fine.
Test fc & cc with the fas/dpd test in the morning & add enough liquid chlorine to reach the high target (7ppm) for your cya of 40 FC/CYA Levels
Then tomorrow evening u can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Unless there’s visible algae, cc’s above 0.5 or the water isn’t crystal clear, in which case you can go ahead & start the SLAM Process
Here are some helpful videos of the tests
👇

So this is what I understand at this point. My CC is 1.0. I do have some algae and my chlorine is low.....this means I need the SLAM process. Did I get that right?

Also based on the CYA/FC chart for SLAM....I am going to need to raise my FC by 16ppm?
Do I throw chlorine right now or wait till the evening when the sun is mild?

Reactions: Mdragger88
So this is what I understand at this point. My CC is 1.0. I do have some algae and my chlorine is low.....this means I need the SLAM process. Did I get that right?

Also based on the CYA/FC chart for SLAM....I am going to need to raise my FC by 16ppm?
The sooner the better. Add your chlorine, brush the pool and test again in 2-3 hours.

Reactions: jeffchap
Use poolmath and don't use more LC them recommended for the CYA level you have. Check 30 minutes later, if it dropped bring it back to the slam target and so on so forth. The more the the FC remains at slam level the quicker things work in your favor.

OK so if I am understanding this right, I need to do the SLAM in the following way right away. Please let me know if I got this right.

Since my current FC is 1.5 and CYA is 40, based on CYA chart...I need to bring my FC from 1.5 - 16. So based on pool math....I need to put 3 gallons of LC.
Now test this again in the night....and bring it back to 16 if the FC has dropped anything less than 16.
Check again tomorrow morning.....and do the same (continue doing this at the least 2 times day unless all 3 of this is true a) CC below 0.5, b) Clear water c) pass OCLT test.

Did I get all the above right?

Yes 👍🏻 start now 🤩

Actually, you need to check it and dose back to 16 as frequently as you can. Hourly is best, but try for at least 4 times per day. The key is to keep FC at 16 as much as possible.

Between morning and night, FC will drop way too low and algae will resume growing. This will just extend your SLAM and cause you to end up using much more chlorine in the long run.

OK so if I am understanding this right, I need to do the SLAM in the following way right away. Please let me know if I got this right.

Since my current FC is 1.5 and CYA is 40, based on CYA chart...I need to bring my FC from 1.5 - 16. So based on pool math....I need to put 3 gallons of LC.
Now test this again in the night....and bring it back to 16 if the FC has dropped anything less than 16.
Check again tomorrow morning.....and do the same (continue doing this at the least 2 times day unless all 3 of this is true a) CC below 0.5, b) Clear water c) pass OCLT test.

Did I get all the above right?
Correct!
the more often u test fc & replenish slam level the faster you will meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria. Every 2 hours is ideal, but just aim for as often as possible. At least 3x’s a day. Brush &/ vac daily. Backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Go on the hunt for hidden algae (light niches, ladder rails/cups, drain covers, unused ports, etc.)
Run all water features at least an hour or so per day during slam.
Btw (It’s cc’s of 0.5 or below) but u are totally getting it! 🤩
SLAM ON✊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't bother checking the CC until you're close to the end of slam. Concentrate on the FC as the slam progresses the FC level will start to hold longer and not lose as much = gaining momentum until an OCLT proves done which includes the 3 criteria.

So based on the SLAM process. I put 3.5 Gallons of LC to bring my 1ppm FC to 15ppm yesterday around 7pm. Today morning at around 6:30am I am testing my water. It shows FC to be at like 0.5.
Did all that chlorine got utilized in less than 12 hours?

Could there be anything else going on here? Should I go ahead and put another 3.5 Gallons of LC right away?

That is pretty extreme. I assume you did not confirm the FC rise after adding the chlorine.

Did you check the dates on the liquid chlorine bottles?
You are right I did not check FC after adding chlorine.

I used the LC from 2 different places.

1st one says " 060322" I believe this means June 3rd 2022. Does this mean this bottle was packed on June 3rd of this year? Meaning just few weeks back. Is this OK?
2nd one says "22167" I believe this would mean 167th day of the year 22. This would mean mid May. Is this OK?

What do I do now?

Thank you everyone for helping me. This is what I am going to do in a few minutes:

1) Brush the pool. There is very little Algae at some places at the bottom of the pool. I will brush all the walls and all the bottom.
2) Throw in 3.5 Gallons of LC

Do a test after 1 hour.

I will report here what I see after this.

Please let me know if I can do anything else?

What would be a reasonable expectation for my pool to be ready to swim in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.