Salt Water Generator
I tested my water today and here are my results:
FC -- 1.5
CC -- 0
PH -- 7.8
CH -- 350
TA -- 220
CYA -- 40

I added some liquid chlorine to bring up the FC and increased the percentage on my SWG. However, my SWG has an auto adjust feature (no way to turn this off that I have been able to find) for temperature changes, etc. So, I never really know what percentage it is actually set at. Is there a way around this with the SWG? I just keep increasing it by 5% every time I see it is still low -- But depending on the water temperature it is different at different times.

Are you using Pool Math? Under FC, there's a feature that allows you enter the SWG's chlorine output rating. The app provides the runtime/percentage to meet your FC goal. Your FC loss this time of year is probably between 3 to 4 ppm per day. Set your SWG runtime/percentage to match daily FC loss.

The instructions for you unit regarding the auto-adjust feature are unclear. I would call the manufacturer for guidance.

Use liquid chlorine to get your FC to target level ASAP. Use the SWG to maintain that level.

Add the model and pool volume rating of your SWG to your signature.

What specific model Autopilot SWG do you have with what size cell?

How long do you run your pump and SWG daily?

Are you using Pool Math? Under FC, there's a feature that allows you enter the SWG's chlorine output rating. The app provides the runtime/percentage to meet your FC goal. Your FC loss this time of year is probably between 3 to 4 ppm per day. Set your SWG runtime/percentage to match daily FC loss.

The instructions for you unit regarding the auto-adjust feature are unclear. I would call the manufacturer for guidance.

Use liquid chlorine to get your FC to target level ASAP. Use the SWG to maintain that level.

Add the model and pool volume rating of your SWG to your signature.
The app says to run it for 12 hours at 70%. The problem is it doesn't stay at 70% because it auto adjusts for the pool temperature and there is no override. For example, when I went out yesterday, it was at 80% because it was really hot out, so I upped it to 85% since I know I needed more chlorine. Today, it was earlier in the day and cooler, so it was at 60% when I went out, so I upped it to 65%. Theoretically, I would think that this would mean that when it was previously running at 60% it would now run at 65% and that would translate to when it upped at higher temps, so now instead of at 80% at the higher temp it would be at 90%.

S,

The best way to run a SWCG is to try and keep your FC at your Target or higher... For a CYA of 40 your Target is 5 to 7...

Let the cell run and quit changing it every day.. A SWCG is supposed to make life easier not harder..

I never try to keep my FC between my Target and the Minimum.. The minimum is a cliff that I never want to get near.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ScottieBones
S,

The best way to run a SWCG is to try and keep your FC at your Target or higher... For a CYA of 40 your Target is 5 to 7...

I never try to keep my FC between my Target and the Minimum.. The minimum is a cliff that I never want to get near.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I do keep adding liquid chlorine to bring it up but the SWG just isn't keeping up to maintain it. I did order some CYA and should get that tomorrow.

S,

Just to make sure... I'd run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. or OCLT.. This is how.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Since you have a SWCG, bringing up your CYA makes sense to me.. But I would not do that until you know for sure that you can pass the OCLT.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was able to pass the OCLT -- it only went down 1 overnight.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that feature only in the app? Don't see it on the web version. I'm not into smart phones - retired programmer, of course. :LOL:

The web based PoolMath has Effects of Adding. You need your SWCG rating for chlorine gas generation per day in lbs. Select Chlorine Gas for chemical.

If it’s not keeping up with the UV demand it needs a longer run time. If it lowers its % during the increased run time, add more run time.
Thanks. It seems to be leveling out now. I have increased the % by 5% three times and I think it is starting to be able to keep up. It started to dip yesterday so I added some chlorine. Will increase another 5%. I just wish I knew what the actual percentage is -- I really have no clue since it auto adjusts for temperature changes -- so at any given time during the day it is at a different %.

Reactions: Newdude
The web based PoolMath has Effects of Adding. You need your SWCG rating for chlorine gas generation per day in lbs. Select Chlorine Gas for chemical.
Thanks! I used that. It says 70% for 12 hours per day. But the problem is I don't really know what percentage I am currently set at since it auto adjusts for temperature, etc. So at any given time, it is at a different %. But I just kept going out when it wasn't quite keeping up and adding 5% here and there. We were close to stabilizing for about 4 days when I didn't have to adjust the %. But it started to dip yesterday. I may have found the right % and then just need to do a 24 hour boost once a week. At least that is what I am thinking for now.

It’s certainly a bit more tricky in your case currently, but you’re responsible for keeping tabs on it either way so just dial it in as necessary. Hopefully it will level off and you can enjoy the easiness that most of us have.

*still test and verify until you’re totally sold that it’s doing it’s thing and you know the system and how your pool responds to it backwards/forwards. Then be prepared to occasionally adjust it as the season ramps up or down. :goodjob:

It’s certainly a bit more tricky in your case currently, but you’re responsible for keeping tabs on it either way so just dial it in as necessary. Hopefully it will level off and you can enjoy the easiness that most of us have.

*still test and verify until you’re totally sold that it’s doing it’s thing and you know the system and how your pool responds to it backwards/forwards. Then be prepared to occasionally adjust it as the season ramps up or down. :goodjob:
Thanks so much! I am learning for sure!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.