Test can't be right

shutch

Jun 8, 2013
Missouri
I'm so confused. I've read the instructions and watched 4 videos about this K2006 Taylor test kit. First, lil background. Had hole. Patched and filled fresh. Had pump problem. By the time it was resolved (about a week), water was green. Fixed pump issue. Started pump. Had leak around skimmer. Drained water below. Filled back up and started again. Dissolved 4 lbs cya and dumped in. Have put 3 bottles of 10% chlorine and 3 bottles of 8% Clorox since the first fill up. Got test kit today and when I did the chlorine test...25 ml...two scoops...I was at 45 drops before I stopped counting. Surely, this can't be right...?

I'm so confused. I've read the instructions and watched 4 videos about this K2006 Taylor test kit. First, lil background. Had hole. Patched and filled fresh. Had pump problem. By the time it was resolved (about a week), water was green. Fixed pump issue. Started pump. Had leak around skimmer. Drained water below. Filled back up and started again. Dissolved 4 lbs cya and dumped in. Have put 3 bottles of 10% chlorine and 3 bottles of 8% Clorox since the first fill up. Got test kit today and when I did the chlorine test...25 ml...two scoops...I was at 45 drops before I stopped counting. Surely, this can't be right...?
**I guess I should say that this was the first time you are supposed to add the drops (the 871) and the color never even faintly changed!

Use a 10mL sample, not a 25mL sample. Each drop is 0.5ppm. Even with a 25mL sample and a drop factor of 0.2, at 45 that's 9ppm chlorine. Not crazy...

Also, do not use Clorox bleach in a pool. It has polymers in it that will cause problems. Stick with store brand. No scents. No splash free or splash less.

And, I don't think 8% bleach is common anymore. Double check your strength.

Reactions: pooldv
Will check now...
Use a 10mL sample, not a 25mL sample. Each drop is 0.5ppm. Even with a 25mL sample and a drop factor of 0.2, at 45 that's 9ppm chlorine. Not crazy...

Also, do not use Clorox bleach in a pool. It has polymers in it that will cause problems. Stick with store brand. No scents. No splash free or splash less.

And, I don't think 8% bleach is common anymore. Double check your strength.

Sorry, it is round and we think it is 24 by 52. If not it is 24x48. The CYA was added yesterday.
Unless you tested the CYA and know it was completely dissolved, it might still be dispersing and not doing a lot of UV protecting.

If the pool is filled to 48", it's 13,500 gallons. All that bleach you listed initially will only add 37 FC. Even if the CYA was at 30, that's not an unreasonable amount of chlorine to get eaten by a green pool in 24 hours. If the CYA isn't working fully yet, it's no wonder at all that it's gone. The pool has at least lost its tint and is looking greyish now, yes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lol....I mean it IS green...but it isn't green like it was before we drained it!!
I guess I was not understanding this test...or how to do the calculations. I thought that reading was showing the chlorine level like off the charts. I think I understand it now. I know how to SLAM and all that...I've been following you guys for years and tell everyone your method and recommend this site. Sorry if I seemed contradicting...or confusing.

I feel like I read your post the opposite of everyone else. When you added the powder for the chlorine test, did the sample go pink or stay clear? I can't figure out if you have no chlorine or high chlorine.

I feel like I read your post the opposite of everyone else. When you added the powder for the chlorine test, did the sample go pink or stay clear? I can't figure out if you have no chlorine or high chlorine.
Thank you! It went pink...or should I say more like reddish purple?! And as I was saying, I put 45 drops and it wasn't even lightening it up! :oops: That, was my concern. Because the chlorine was put in there early afternoon and this was around 6ish that it was tested. I just thought there was no way that it would still be that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.