Temp 1 1/2" PVC for SPA suction on 2" PVC pool ?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Fianceee's pool.
14,000 gallon with Solar and Spa.
Newly installed Intelliflo pump.

Can't get the spa to hold suction, I think there is air getting into the lines somehow.
Spa works for a few seconds, then filter pressure goes to zero.

Just wondering if it's ok to run a temporary 1 1/2" PVC pipe to bottom of spa drain area, if the Return line is 2".

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Can't get the spa to hold suction, I think there is air getting into the lines somehow.
Spa works for a few seconds, then filter pressure goes to zero.
So are you saying this is only a problem for the spa lines? What is the clean filter pressure in pool mode vs spa mode?

Somewhat dirty filter now.

Hey that reminds me, I should clean it, and see what happens. I just took over fiancee's pool and when I asked about filter, the reply was "I cleaned it a couple of months ago." This, the same guy who did not understand when I talked about stablizer or cyanuric acid and chlorine levels. He did not even seem to understand cyanuric acid or stablizer.

Anyway at 2350 RPM, pool suction, pool returns, about 7 psi. Pool suction, Spa returns, 12 psi.
At 3110 RPM, pool suction, pool returns about 9psi. Pool suction, Spa returns about 20 PSI.
Turn on Spa suction, air seem to get in, and filter goes to 0 psi.

Update, I just left the pool running at 3445 RPM in SPA MODE, Spa suction, Spa returns. was running for minutes when I left.

Update 2

Spa Suction, Spa Returns pressure did evetually go to zero.
Ran it again, and it seem to work awhile.

Noticed small water leak in Jandy valve. Will try O-ring replacement again. Also bubbles in pool returns, air is getting in again. May just replace the whole valve.

Jeff

Sounds like a serious leak on the spa suction line somewhere. Probably more than what would be caused by just a valve.

1. It seems to have it working, well almost. The spa now works for quite awhile. It's close. It was working before I changed the O-rings out in the Jandy 3-way suction valve. And worked for a short while after, in fact eliminated the bubble problem in the returns.

2. Also, you said something that triggered a thought. You asked what the clean filter pressure is. Well, I don't know.
It's been months since the pool guy cleaned the fliter. I will clean it today, and report back. I think I've read on TFP that dirty filters can contribute to air in the system

I think I've read on TFP that dirty filters can contribute to air in the system
Only if you have solar and a VRV installed. But that causes air out of the returns and not air in the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.