TC is over 10

Huh? If you can not isolate suction to only the floor, then when the water gets below the skimmer the pool pump will suck air through the skimmer and not work and possibly be damaged.

Are we taking about different things here?

jblizzle said:
Huh? If you can not isolate suction to only the floor, then when the water gets below the skimmer the pool pump will suck air through the skimmer and not work and possibly be damaged.

Are we taking about different things here?

Nope, we're taking about the same thing. Thanks!

Partial drain/refills

FINALLY, I have performed my 70% drain and in a couple of hours time my pool should be refilled. Shall I post my new numbers the moment the pool has finished filling or do I need to circulate the water for a few hours before posting my numbers?

Thanks

Hello again Brushup....hahaha, I know wave the flags.....

Please be on the look out for my new numbers. I'm excited. I re-stocked my reagents today as I went through them like crazy. I'm all ready for my shock process and to start the BBB method. Ingredients are here and waiting. Just need those numbers......I do hope that dreaded ammonia is almost gone. We shall see.

Looking good

Here are my results after the final drain/refill.

FC 0.5
CC 3.5
PH 7.1 or 7.2 color seems almost the same
TA 70
CH 325 I know it is still on the high side but workable, yes?
CYA I can still see the dot even with the tube full. So does that mean we read it as 20?

So now I shock, correct? according to the pool calculator, it is only asking me to add 172oz of bleach. Maybe I'll use a little more like it suggests. Can you confirm?

After reading Pool School it says to adjust your PH first before you shock. Is mine ok at 7.1/7.2 or should I add 39oz of Borax first to bring it up to 7.5.

OMG...this seems to much easier now my levels are within range (sort of) I do not need half the amount of bleach to shock. Anxious to get the ball rolling on the shocking of my pool.

Thanks for helping me.

Thanks, Cathy

Yes, you need to get shocking. Did you drain the whole pool? If so, that explains the near zero CYA reading. If you wish, you can go up to mustard shock level, but I will warn you the FC is going to drop really quick, especially with the sun out. You might just go a little over shock level for now, then hit mustard level at night. Having a plaster pool makes this a lot safer.

Leave your pH at 7.2. That's fine.

If your CYA is really zero, you can even add a floater with a trichlor tab in it (if you have them) to help maintain FC while bringing your CYA up a little bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello RobiH - My drain was a 70% drain due to CH being around 800 and CYA over 100.

I do still have the tabs - I plan on giving away my tabs and shock.....no more to that stuff. Only bleach from now on.

I did the CYA test a couple of times to be sure.

I planned on doing the standard shock process for now. Can you just explain why I would do the mustard algae shock process if I do not appear to have algae? If you think it is best for me to do that, I will follow your advice?

Sure, you can add tabs with a low 20 CYA but i would rely on liquid chlorine/bleach for the majority of the shock process. Tabs effect three factors at once while the liquid version only really adds FC. They are also slow add the FC. You need a high level of FC quickly to kill the algae.

techguy said:
Sure, you can add tabs with a low 20 CYA but i would rely on liquid chlorine/bleach for the majority of the shock process. Tabs effect three factors at once while the liquid version only really adds FC. They are also slow add the FC. You need a high level of FC quickly to kill the algae.

Thanks. I have my bleach ready to start this minute with the shock process. I just want to confirm that my numbers posted previously are all ok to start now. So, CYA 20 right now. It is ok to add my bleach and shock and not wait for the CYA to come up a little? sound ok?

amount of bleach needed

Hi Guys - waiting to start shock process. I've used the pool calculator for the below

FC 05
CC 3.5
CYA 20

Amount of bleach to add 178oz of 8.25% to reach shock level of 10. This doesn't seem very much. Are my numbers correct?

I was going to add 2 jugs 121oz each jug, sound ok?

Thanks in advance

Keep in mind the shock level you are plugging in is the level you have to maintain, not the level you start with. So going a little over is what you want to do. That's part of why I said you might shoot for mustard algae shock level at night, that way there will be plenty of FC in the pool while you sleep. 242 is going to put you well over mustard shock level, so instead I recommend not going that far. Just put in one 121 and maybe half the second. You don't have to be ultra precise.

OK, now that you have added it, circulate the water for hour or so and re-test (after the sun is off the pool), just the FC and CC, write these down...

Then tomorrow morning, if your FC is with 1 PPM of the night before's result and your CC is 0.0 or 0.5, you have finished shocking the pool, otherwise boost your FC back to your shock level (if needed) and test again at night (after the sun is off the pool), adjust... circulate, re-test your FC and repeat until you pass the OCLT (what we are talking about here).

techguy said:
OK, now that you have added it, circulate the water for hour or so and re-test (after the sun is off the pool), just the FC and CC, write these down...

Then tomorrow morning, if your FC is with 1 PPM of the night before's result and your CC is 0.0 or 0.5, you have finished shocking the pool, otherwise boost your FC back to your shock level (if needed) and test again at night (after the sun is off the pool), adjust... circulate, re-test your FC and repeat until you pass the OCLT (what we are talking about here).

Gotcha. Thanks Techguy. For once I am on the same page haha. I get it now.

For some reason the amount of bleach I added did not seem that much for shocking the pool. I think because before I drained the pool, I was going to have to add 39ppm to shock it. But with the drain, much less bleach is needed :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.