TC is over 10

Ok, thanks guys. I will do the partial drain myself this coming weekend. I CAN DO IT. But first, questions as usual lol.

1. Does it matter what time of day I start draining the pool.
2. Because I have maybe 70% to drain, should I drain say 35% first, then refill, drain other 35% and fill. Or do 3 drains?Then test everything and add chemicals once 70% of water has been refilled.
3. Does the pump need to be on or off when I drain. I plan to use my hose and attach it to the bottom of the filter drum by unscrewing the plug at the bottom, right?
4. I back onto a creek. Will anyone notice if I put the hose so it runs away into the creek. Am I allowed to do this?

I don't have any experience draining pools, so keep that in mind.
1) I wouldn't think time matters. Just make sure you are there to keep an eye on the pool.
2) I don't know where you live so I don't know about water table issues. That being said, I believe a 1/3 drain at a time is recommended.
3) I'm not sure about pump. Your filter is above the water level, correct? That would make me think you would need the pump to be running.
4) I have no Idea about legality or if anyone would notice.

Do you know your ground water level? If the pool water gets below the ground water level ... the pool can float out of the ground. Not Good.

To lower the CYA by 70% you either need to do:
one 70% drain or
two 45% drains or
three 33% drains

1. Does not really matter although best if it is not empty in the afternoon sun.
2. See above
3. That is only going to work if you can isolate the suction to only the floor. Otherwise you can not drain below the skimmer. I rented a submersible pump for a day ... drained my pool in about 6 hours (6PM - 11PM) and then I started it filling with 3 hoses
4. How would we know if you were allowed to do that?

Please don't let a pool store near your pool to do anything or add anything to it. This is why you are here. To learn.

Start your drain/refills and check your CYA levels after the second drain/refill and post those results here as soon as you are finished. :goodjob:

Catherineb said:
Ok, thanks guys. I will do the partial drain myself this coming weekend. I CAN DO IT. But first, questions as usual lol.

1. Does it matter what time of day I start draining the pool.
2. Because I have maybe 70% to drain, should I drain say 35% first, then refill, drain other 35% and fill. Or do 3 drains?Then test everything and add chemicals once 70% of water has been refilled.
3. Does the pump need to be on or off when I drain. I plan to use my hose and attach it to the bottom of the filter drum by unscrewing the plug at the bottom, right?
4. I back onto a creek. Will anyone notice if I put the hose so it runs away into the creek. Am I allowed to do this?

On number 4...I don't know but I would advise against this until you know for sure. You ask as if it seems wrong to you with the question of who might notice. Is this a live creek with aquatic life? If so, bad Idea in my opinion, and I'm far from being a "Tree Hugger" type. We cannot, and should not answer this question for you... in my view anyway. I welcome being corrected, and my apologies to the forum if so.

Thanks John and jblizzle.

Ok, I'm stuck already. Ground water level? no. I do not know anything about this. How will I find out.
Would it be safer for me if I hired the sump pump? I thought with a sump pump you had to attach it to some drain in your yard? I don't even know where that would be. I don't understand what you mean about the skimmer line and the suction to the bottom? sorry....I have never done a partial drain on my pool and not sure how to do it. I thought I knew but obviously I don't?

So, where do most people drain the water to? You can't do it in the street and the lawn would be ruined? Guys I am from England, and I know there are all sorts of rules here that I must follow.

Thanks Casey. I won't let a pool store do my pool. But, as you can see from my posts, I'm not even sure how I do a partial drain safely, but wont start until you guys tell me how to do everything safely. I'm sure it is easy once I know what gets hooked up and where.

Some people drain into the sewer (if allowed by the authorities). Others spray it around the yard (it will not hurt the grass ... although it may be a bit much water).

A sump pump just pumps the water out of the pool through a hose ... you put the hose where you want. It does not make it "safer" but it needed if you are to drain below the skimmer line if you can not close off the skimmer. Add some pictures of your equipment pad if you do not understand the plumbing.

You should be safe draining 33% regardless of the groundwater level ... that will only be like 1.5 feet or so.

JBlizzle thanks. I would rather get the sump pump and spray it around the yard. My yard needs the water as long as all these nasty chemicals do no harm my lawn. A sump pump will be quicker.
Ok, I am all set. I will do this maybe on Friday night and after draining 33% and refilling, I will post my numbers and follow your advice from there. Meanwhile that bleach is just disappearing....I'm off to add a couple of gallons just so there is some in the pool.

Sorry to be such a novice at everything. I know you have to spoon feed me on the smallest of things and I'm aware and embarrassed that I ask some stupid questions, but just think how much knowledge I am going to have compared to when I started. I bet you guys have never seen so many posts....ha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Catherine, Can you please add your location to your profile for future reference. It really helps at a glance to know where you are located.

We're not pool stalkers... Promise!!! :mrgreen:

Casey said:
Catherine, Can you please add your location to your profile for future reference. It really helps at a glance to know where you are located.

We're not pool stalkers... Promise!!! :mrgreen:
LOL I love the mental image this gives me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Catherineb said:
MyNewPool - thanks so much for sending me your photos. They look fantastic and I truly understand what you are saying. You done a great job. I need to find some of this POP ha! BTW - my pool is clear and looks quite good. Not green. You would not even know that my chemicals were so out of whack by looking at the water. My scaling is annoying although my friends say you cant even see it BUT I SEE IT!! anyway, after advice from POOL STORE I added so many things that didn't work. They only made all matters worse. In face after 8 years, I have never had so many problems. In fact I have hardly had any issues or so I thought. Your pool is 13,000 mine is 15,000 but your pool looks a lot bigger than mine. I reckon mine is smaller, I had better try and measure to see if it is truly 15,000. Thanks again for the photos.

It took a little playing around to get my size. Mine was a hard measure so I took what I thought I had measured and put that in as the gallons. I then did several test over several weeks and seeing constant results at 13000 gallons based off of the pool calculator that is what I stuck with.

Hello Guys,
I had a small surgery this week so I need to put off my partial drain until next weekend. In the meantime it is 100 degrees in Dallas.

Can you confirm do I turn off my pool pump to use the sump pump to do my partial drain or leave it on?
What will happen if I get algae in this hot weather before I get to do my partial drain? do I just go ahead with the drain? and treat after.

I am adding bleach and tested it today and I have a low amount of FC. Will add a couple of gallons later today. Don't want to waste gallon after gallon until I drain.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.