TC is over 10

Here my todays numbers testing with my new Taylor K2006

FC 0.4
CC 13.2
PH 7.2
TA 40
CH 88 drops x 10 = 880 can this be right?
CYA 100 (forgot to do the extra test with diluting my tap water but will do this tomorrow as dark now)

I used the 25ml measure for these results and not the 10. I will rerun tests at the weekend.

So I have spent the evening reading Pool School and have learned a lot. I now understand my numbers and realize I have to do a partial drain because of my CYA and CH but I cannot arrange to do this for at least a week or so. In the meantime I would like to start the shock process by using liquid bleach (is 6% ok or should I use higher) to at least lower my CC and get my FC is range. My question is on the CYA/Chlorine chart it suggests that the FC shock is 39 for my high level of CYA. What does this number 39 mean? ounces, lbs? 39 what? and is it ok to add all at once?

Hopefully now that I have spent the time to understand Pool School, I will understand my replies better. Thanks all.

Check your typo in the CC number ... either an extra number of a decimal in the wrong spot.

Either way, the CYA is way too high, FC is too low and the CC is too high
Your CH could be that high if you have hard water or used a lot of cal-hypo.

Time to replace water to lower the CYA.

It may take more than a 50% drain. Do the dilution test and go from there. I am not sure where you live, but check your water table. If it is high, you will not want to drain too much at once. I'm not sure how much is safe to drain at a time.

Oh yes, your calcium could be that high. You can check your fill water to see what it is. Mine is north of 700 here. As Jason said, you could have it from adding cal-hypo too. Right now Chlorine and CYA are your concerns. If you can't drain and refill to lower the CYA you will have to take the FC up to the shock level if you are trying to shock your pool. If that is 39, it means 39 PPM FC and would be 80 drops on the FC test with a 10 mL sample size. So, that means that you will have to add about 9 gallons of 6% bleach to get to 39 PPM if you start with a 0.0 FC level and your pool volume is 15K gallons as per your sig. Have you used the pool calculator yet? If not, it is here: http://www.poolcalculator.com/ Please test again to be sure and add as per the calculator. It is a really nice tool.

As for the FC level you need... It's a lot, and that's why we say a lower CYA level is needed. It's really impractical to keep dosing and maintaining effective FC and shock levels at high CYA levels. High CYA demands much, much, higher FC levels for Chlorine to be as effective. Hope that makes sense. The 6% is fine, but most bleach in the stores now is 8.25. It will just take a little more at 6%, but we have all used 6% in the past.

Refill may or may not help your CH level a lot. If you run a CH on your fill water, the answer will be crystal clear on that one.

Good on you for getting some knowledge under your belt! :goodjob:

It can be hard to let go of the pool store because you are accustomed to following their advice, and they make you feel like you are doing something to fix the problem. Actually, they are making your problem worse. I gradually stopped using them last year, and only in August when I threw myself into TFP methods did my pool clear. This year, my pool is the clearest it's ever been, without one trip to the pool store. :whoot:

The test kit will become your best friend after you watch the videos and use it a few times. A couple of things I learned about testing:
- Don't be afraid to test as much as you need to until you reach a comfort level with the test process and reading the results, it is time and money well spent.
- Be sure you are reading the CYA test outdoors with sunlight at your back. I missed that in the instructions, and when I discovered it I found it makes about a 10ppm difference from inside readings.
- If you need to order test regents, order 2 extra sets of the FAS-DPD. You'll use a lot at first while you are learning, and you don't want to run out in the middle of the shock process. If you can go to a store to buy them, it won't matter, but I think most of us need to order these.

You need your POP -- Pool Owner Patience. Follow the advice you are getting from the experts here, and give the pool time. You'll be happy with the results.

Thanks Lee and Brushup. Yes the pool store made my problems so much worse. I am so desperate to do this shock process but I have had my 3 year old niece stay with me for 4 days and do not have time to do everything correctly and its dark again. I used the pool calculator. For the chlorine I entered start point 0 goal 39 for a CYA level of 100. I retested CYA today and I the reading was over 100 this time. It gave me a different reading for the amount of bleach to use to breakdown my combined chlorine. Can you confirm it again for me. I bought 8.25 strength concentrated bleach from the store but of course I didn't buy enough. Can I go out now and add 3 gallons and tomorrow add the rest? will that be ok? Then when should I re-test to see if my cc has come down? How long before I can use the pool if I add 9 gallons of bleach? Tomorrow I will do the CYA fill water test too.
Thanks and sorry for all the questions but today I learned I could do the partial drain myself from the pump so next weekend I will do it. I am getting there slowly.

I've used the test kit a couple of times and am getting used to it. Thanks for your patience and advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks John. Sorry I meant CH fill water. I just finished testing with the 10ml test as suggested and this reading took 41 drops for water to turn blue. It says multiply number of drops by 25 = 1,025? every test seems to be getting higher and higher.

For the CYA I just retested and I am getting 150...no longer 100. I will now do the 50% pool and tap and see what I get.

Now I am going to do the CH test from my tap water to see what reading I get. (CH test from tap water is 100) is this normal?

John - the CYA chart does say 39ppm for FC shock. How come where you are reading it says 26? I wonder what total amount of chlorine bleach I need to use? and can I add some tonight and buy and add the test tomorrow as per earlier post? want to get some in tonight as I am at almost 0 and it is 100 degrees in Dallas. Last thing I need on top is algae lol.

The pool calculator has a different shock value that the chart. They both work, but the chart is more aggressive. I'm not sure if one way would use more bleach than the other. Adding some tonight won't hurt anything, so you can add some.

when I use the pool calculator, and enter start at 0 goal 39 it says to use 86oz of 8.25% bleach. what number do I multiply to get correct amount in ounces or gallons, sorry to be a dumbo?

Hey there,

Ok, it looks like you are getting more comfortable with the tests and that's great. Before long you they will be a breeze. The CH of 100 is what it is. There is no "normal". This varies by region, and then even locally. Some places have high hardness, some have low. Mine is just over 700 from the tap. What we know according to your tests, is that both CH and CYA are far too high. The sooner you can replace the water, the better off you'll be. As for the CH test being higher, there is always lost accuracy when you test a smaller size, that is just a fact. Yours seems a little too far off to the high side, but for now, we know enough, so don't worry with that. Ok?

If you have 100 CH from your fill water, the high level in your pool came from Cal-Hypo that was put into the pool, and the High CYA from Tri-Chlor/Di-Chlor did too. Dry Chlorine products have side effects and those side effects are what you have. HIGH CH and HIGH CYA. I'm sure you understand that by now, but I am just thinking out loud here so please be patient with me. As much as I hate to through away water, you need really a large replacement. High CH like that puts you at great risk for scale, and you already see how the high level of CYA demands a ton of FC. This demand is unpractical, and it isn't good for your pool either. If it were mine, I would focus on that water replacement first. Fortunately, you are in a location where it is allowed and available. Some aren't so lucky...like where I live. Folks in the city are barely allowed top off water right now. You can shock according to the charts and calculator, but you are going to use a ton of bleach. You're on the right track, so just hang in there and let us know how it's going.

Re: CC is over 10

Hi Brushpup, I bought the rest of the bleach today. I promise I am going to drain about 70% the pool but not until next weekend. Until then, can you clarify that by adding all this bleach it will reduce the amount of CC?
Last night I added 3 gallons of 8.25 % bleach and today my FC is 4 but total CC is 30. If I continue and add another 5 gallons of bleach today, will that destroy the CC in my pool? when should I expect to see the CC come down? straight away or like in a weeks time? Is a total of 8 gallons at 8.25% to do this? I intend to do this later when the sun goes down. Hopefully I will get your reply by then. Thanks for your help.

BTW - This problem all started when I added 15lbs of copper stain remover from Bioguard which did not work (although the test kit did) this is how my pool sky rocketed my CH. Then I added 26lbs of powder shock to breakdown the CC which didn't work either but only raised by CH. Nightmare.

That is why I ask that this shock of 8 gallon liquid chlorine will in fact be enough to break down the CC. I still want to do this exercise so I know this for the future although once I do my drain it should get rid of all these problems and I can start again with my chemicals. Hope all this makes sense.

With your CYA being so high and the pool being un-usable, I would just wait until after your drain/refills to start shocking the pool. That's an awful lot of chlorine to be going through IMO. And since you have a very high CC at the moment, I would just wait because you aren't losing swim time.

I know you don't want to hear it but I'd use this time in Pool School. Seriously. Good Luck with the partial drains. I'll be watching your progress. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.