Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
Sydney's Northern Beaches
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I bought an used Taylor test kit off someone for $50. In Australia, that's like 20% of the price! I baselined all tests and now I see why he sold it. A tests are fine except CL. It massively under reports.

The best I can do is use 1.8ml of water and double the drops (10 each) and then multiply the result by 2.5. The problem ia the colour is too light to discriminate, so not very accurate.

Are there any tweaks I can make to effectively uae the CL test without consuming more reagents?

I was going to bin, but thought if there is a way to salvage, I'd go for it.

Which Taylor chlorine test do you have? The OTO test or the FAS/DPD test? If you don't know the difference post pics of what you have.

Are there expiration dates on the reagents?

Test DPD. I never realised there was an expiry, 😂. Expiry 07/18.

2+ years old is stretching it. Sometimes it can be good but it may have been stored in poor hot conditions which accelerate the deterioration.

I don't know how it was stored, but score for all the other tests working. I haven't tried, but does doubling the drops compensate for the deterioration? Even if I get only 10 tests because I'm using 50 drops, I won't mind doing that.

I don't know how it was stored, but score for all the other tests working. I haven't tried, but does doubling the drops compensate for the deterioration? Even if I get only 10 tests because I'm using 50 drops, I won't mind doing that.

You don't know how much the drop strength has degraded to get any accurate multiplication factor. At this point it is only guess and inaccurate.

When I first started testing my pool I purchased a Taylor test kit from United States and yes it cost a lot! Fortunately we in Australia can source a local equivalent from a company called Clear Choice Labs. When you need to replace reagents in your current Taylor kit there’s are compatible. Hope that helps down the track

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.