Talc or Silicone Spray on Top Rail? (Bestway/Costco) (DIsassembly Update)

phroggie

Apr 13, 2022
Los Angeles
I will most likely drain and disassemble our pool at the end of the season like I've done with our previous pools. I've read reviews where people have had their Bestway pool fuse to the top rail to the point where some of the liner material remained on the rail to say nothing of the difficulty they experienced trying to separate the rail from the liner. (While it was never easy-peasy to pull out the rails on the previous Intex pool, they did separate "cleanly" every time.)

I have seen suggestions to either use talcum powder or silicone spray. Does anyone have any experience with either?

I'm trying talc.

While headline verdicts might give the impression otherwise, in general use, talc is not a carcinogen and is still available for sale. There is concern for miners and processors of talc and, of course, prolonged use in the female genital area. There's also concern for asbestos contamination. However, in this application where almost all of the tiny amount of talc is confined to the rail "pocket" should be well outside those areas of concern.

The short story is that I have to take it down each year. Some years, by as early as the 2nd week of September, the water temperature sinks to under 70˚F and always by late October the pool becomes painfully cold. I really don't trust myself to maintain the water properly and especially given the recent infestation of Aedes aegypti (the yellow fever mosquito) and Aedes albopictus (the Asian tiger mosquito) anything less than a perfectly maintained pool is a nuisance. As for leaving it up and dry, that's also not an option. We can depend on having strong, continuous northern Santa Ana winds for days at a time. Gusts over 50mph are not uncommon at which point the cover is history and the pool flaps violently like a flag. In fact, there was one year where I assembled the pool and before I had a chance to fill it there was a wind incident. The pool literally started to blow away and only the fence stopped it.

I am considering building some sort of enclosure for the whole pool using corrugated polycarbonate but I only have some rough sketches. And I doubt that I could get a building permit for it. And it would still need to withstand those Santa Anas.

As a reminder, I went with talc.

Disassembly was a easy-peasy with absolutely no sticking.

Unlike my previous Intex pool, the metal has a corse powder coating instead enamel paint. The latter might be the reason there was some adhesion with the Intex. And from pictures online, it appears that previous iterations of the Bestway pool also used enamel. So in the end, I can't say how much the talc contributed.

But either way, I'll spend the ten minutes to spread talc next season.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My Intex has been up 3 continuous years. This year one side looks to have sunk, so I took it down so I can re-level it in the spring (might be upgrading to a 12x24 as well) . Had no issues with taking the poles out. In fact, was surprised as there was a previous thread about this very issue and all I could think of was I was in for a fun filled after noon.

As for winterizing it, I set the chemicals, cover it and forget it till spring. Water has always remained clear. The only thing I might do is clean off the cover and pump the water off from time to time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.