Taking on a second job as general contractor

Solarpowered

Mar 14, 2021
Michigan
Hello! We’re in Michigan, so the fact that I get energy from the sun means I’m just getting my energy back. ☀️😎 Just in time to take on a second job as general contractor of our first pool! My husband really wants a fiberglass pool, but we can’t get anyone to do it so we are deciding between two contractors. A reputable pool finishing guy who just bought a gunnite blaster, and a guy who’s been doing vinyl liners for 11 years but is starting his own pool company. We’d be his 1st pool, not including his own. :oops: I feel like we’re at the mercy of these pools guys because they’re so busy right now. Wishing we did this 3 years ago!

Welcome to TFP.

Here are some things that may help in your new project...

Here is a thread about someone who hired a newbie pool builder that did not end well...

Start your own thread in Under Construction and we will be around to assist.

Reactions: Solarpowered
Spiderman Hello GIF by MOODMAN

Hi, welcome to TFP! Is the gunnite guy going to connect you with experienced subcontractors you can hire to do the digging, rebar, plumbing, decking, and electrical, or does he plan to provide those services himself? Who pulls the permits for the build? Same type of questions for the liner guy but substitute setting the panels for rebar. What will liner guy use to backfill the pool and how will it be compacted? FYI, just throwing dirt from the dig back in the hole and slapping it with the shovel is the wrong answer! Another question for them if they plan on supplying the subs to do the specialized pieces of the build, can they get a rough timeline when work for each sub will be completed? Your two builder candidates may be able to start now, but if they can't get the others on board this season you don't want to sit with a raw hole in the ground for months on end. Make sure whoever does the pool has adequate insurance for construction.
Not wanting to dampen your excitement but the answers to these questions are important for your safety and long term happiness with your pool. Please keep us updated on your project.