Taking a bath in pool

We had the driveway replaced about 8 years ago and they ran a new PVC water line..Old one was PVC but at ground level..They rented a ditchwich and buried it so it's strange its leaking that bad considering 2/3 is under the driveway and it's hasn't settled

Suppose to be here in a few hours, said they blow air and water and can listen and find the location..My dad had one under his slab floor and they nailed it in the exact location..

I see you are in Marietta. That is my hometown and I lived there though 2018. When was your house built? I ask this because during the big building boom of late 70s to early 80s most of the builders out there would bury their trash. Sometimes in the middle of the back yard, sometimes where the driveway would be. So...any chance that there was one of these trash pits under your drive? Garbage pits and ply pipes...big headaches for my NW ATL 'burb folks!

I see you are in Marietta. That is my hometown and I lived there though 2018. When was your house built? I ask this because during the big building boom of late 70s to early 80s most of the builders out there would bury their trash. Sometimes in the middle of the back yard, sometimes where the driveway would be. So...any chance that there was one of these trash pits under your drive? Garbage pits and ply pipes...big headaches for my NW ATL 'burb folks!

haha, probably around 1980..I spent a LOT of money having the driveway replaced 8 years ago thanks to a big sink hole..
I don't know the size but was told it's the biggest dumpster you can get. It was FULL of logs stumps etc..Driveway guy went 15' down and 10' under the street and quit.
That's when he an new PVC..Still seems weird if thats the cause..Still wondering if it's the line to the sprinkler valve even though its coming out below it..Should know if a hour when they test it.

• Wow
Reactions: HeyEng
Good news it the leak is right after the meter..bad news is it cost me $345 to find it. They blow air into a outdoor faucet and use
Hindsight is 20/20 but wishing I had just dug this morning but did seem like it was coming from a lot higher up
The fitting from Pex to PVC broke, good news is $14 at lowes :) Does say to wrap fitting with silicone tape with covered in dirt, maybe why the original one failed

Reactions: HeyEng and Newdude
Glad you found it. Copper was supposed to be the 100-year solution over iron. It wasn't. Then PEX was supposed to be the next long-lasting solution. It's not. These advancements in plumbing materials only serve plumbers (faster, less expensive, more profit), not us, the consumers. Sounds like it could have been much worse. I just paid almost the exact same amount today for a simple HVAC repair. All he did was pump up the coolant. That's the going rate, it seems, for an hour or two of work from a pro. Waddayagonnado...

• Sad
Reactions: markayash
Got my water bill that ended on the 11th before the line busted and it was more then double my normal amount..Guessing it had been leaking for a while
I did use pool water to wash off, scooped up 5 gallon buckets for arms and feet and soaked in hot tub. So glad I converted to salt this year, no more sticky feeling

Our county is good about at least taking the sewer charges off for the overage. Anything helps

My question is where does an extra 20,000 of water go :) It didn’t start running down to the street until yesterday!

Saturates the ground, or finds a gopher tunnel or other natural conduit, comes out somewhere else. Happened to a neighbor. Water/mud in his flooded basement came from the next street over. Topsoil was dry. Look for muddy foot prints around the corner. Send him a stack of pizzas, anonymously, of course! 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: markayash
Well I fixed one leak and noticed meter still moving. Now the pvc to copper sharkbite it leaking At the house 3’ down..I read your supposed to wrap them if underground and they both looked corroded and both installed 6 years ago with the driveway. Don’t know how long they have been leaking or if they started together. Fun weekend 😞

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
I like PEX, it is easy to work with. But I don't like using any PEX-to-anything fittings that use o-rings. Were your leaks associated with parts with any o-rings (push-on)? And did you fix them using parts with o-rings? There's a few instances where you don't have a choice, but I would never put those underground or inside a wall (especially NOT in an attic). Only where I can get at them to inspect them or replace them if need be.

I only bury/encase PEX with crimp fittings. If there's soil contact, then only when encased in something else, like a larger PVC pipe (something gnaw-proof).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The meter end was PVC to PEX, I don't have a crimping tool so did use another adapter..I did read where shark bite said if it's underground it should be wrapped so we did with a water tight rubber wrap.
The one at the house cracked at the PVC elbow which is strange especially since I am pretty sure both happened around the same time.
Supposedly we were able to feel the earth quake that happened Sunday or Monday so not sure :(

I had a fourplex to replumb, so a crimping tool was also the economical choice. Hopefully your fittings will stay dry and tight. Did you bury them already? I was going to suggest encasing them in some sort of irrigation box, for later access/inspection. Or at least take a photo of the exposed joints relative to something, so you can remember exactly where they are.

I had a fourplex to replumb, so a crimping tool was also the economical choice. Hopefully your fittings will stay dry and tight. Did you bury them already? I was going to suggest encasing them in some sort of irrigation box, for later access/inspection. Or at least take a photo of the exposed joints relative to something, so you can remember exactly where they are.

I did take pictures, They sharkbite is definitely water proof now. My neighbor installed the split system AC in his garage and they included a 8" x8" rubber sheet with a sticky back to stop vibration but he didn't need it. I am going to seal where the pipe going into the house ( pretty smug now ) with fex spray and will spray the copper just to give it an extra coat of protection.

Been a weird week, wednesday yard flooded and got that fixed around 8pm..Had cataract surgery Thursday morning so rested..Saturday we finished up toe leak by the road and I noticed the meter was still spinning and found leak #2

Today's goal is to be a couch potato :)

Still strange I had 2 pretty major leaks 40' apart..The one by the house had a crack PVC elbow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.