TA Reading

Unless I am missing something, I would recommend against using polyquat if you can maintain the appropriate levels of chlorine.

You numbers look good, though I wouldn't hesitate to bring your FC up to 9 ppm (high end of the normal range from poolcalculator) instead of 7 ppm.

imrodee said:
I haven't added MA in a few days, so I'll do that tomorrow morning.
Make sure this never gets above 7.8!

So 149 oz BL

And 33oz MA an hour later.

Then test.. That's the game plan for today. Does that sound about right?

Sounds right. I'm with linen too....if you can keep the FC above 4 you can hold off on using the polyquat. If you find yourself often slipping below 4 then a dose will be a good idea.

Once the swg is dialed in this will become even easier.

imrodee said:
PH - 7.5 It wants to be 7.2... but it's not. SHould I add more MA?

Depends on what you are trying to do...

If you want to lower TA - then yes you keep pushing it down (assuming this is OK with the curing process for your plaster). If you just want to keep it down away from the high pH that is potentially staining - then it depends on how often you will check and adjust - if you don't mind doing it frequenty then 7.5 is fine - if you are likely to skip for a while you might want more insurance that it doesn't drift back up for longer.

I'm not really sure how long it takes for the plaster to entirely cure.. but it's going to be a month Sept 4th since it has been filled. I thought I read 28 days was the most critical part of the process. I'll check with the PB and see what he says for now.

Right now I test everyday for just about everything.. some for practice (which I badly needed.. :oops: ) and now.. more or less to learn what this does to that. I would love to be able to walk in a pool store and know my chemicals.

Thank you so much! :wave:

I can't tell if I have tan dust or plaster dust, or cooties. Windy day today, so it could be that... but my readings tonite:

Water 85 degrees/sun just went down

FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
PH 7.8 (again)
TA 90
CH 410
CYA 50

With that tan dust stirred up (from me hand brushing and scrubbing..) Do you think I should shock? Or do the OCLT?

Thank you... :|

Can you get a sample of the dust? Is it gritty or slimy? If slimy, then it is likely algae.

If you can't get a sample or if it isn't slimy, then you could raise your FC up towards your shock level (16 ppm) and do a OCLT to confirm.

Keep getting that ph down! I would just plan to always shoot for 7.2 for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Can you get a sample of the dust? Is it gritty or slimy? If slimy, then it is likely algae.

If you can't get a sample or if it isn't slimy, then you could raise your FC up towards your shock level (16 ppm) and do a OCLT to confirm.

Keep getting that ph down! I would just plan to always shoot for 7.2 for now.

Tan "dirt sample" didn't feel slimy to me.
EDITED TO ADD THIS: I did not raise the FC up to 16 last night.. I just reread your post. :hammer: I just followed the PS directions. Dang.

LAST NIGHT RESULTS: OCLT
FC=4.5
CC 0
TC - 4.5
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 410
CYA 50

THIS MORNING
Clear water - overcast

FC= 4.0 this morning
CC 0
TC 4.0
PH 7.8 this morning - it is trying to be 7.5..
TA 70
CH
CYA

So, I am planning on raising the FC to 16 as you suggested, and lowering the PH to 7.2 today.

PC says add 398oz BL to raise FC to 16
Add 29oz MA to lower PH to 7.2

Does that look right to you? Thank you!!!

Tomorrow we are having a swim party for about 12 kiddos. Age range 2 - 8 plus all the parents. So I'd say about 25+ people. I am hoping to have the pool chemicals to prepare for such a group. Can someone please comment on any recommendations as far as chemical levels? Thank you!!!

PH- 7.5
FC 7.
CC .5
TC 7.5
TA 70
CH 400
CYA 50 (overcast today..)

Currently 84 degrees, should be 99 today. expecting same tomorrow.
Normally pool is in full sun from sunup to sundown.

Thank you in advance!!!

Thank you! The SWG is not hooked up yet...(new pool) but I will watch the numbers tonite and again in the morning.

imrodee said:
Thank you! The SWG is not hooked up yet...(new pool) but I will watch the numbers tonite and again in the morning.

Since it is not running SWCG then I might push up the FC to 9 and then check at the end.

This morning the results are:

FC 8.5
CC 0
TC 8.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 425
CYA 60

The CYA test was taken outside, with back to the sun.. It does make a difference, because I checked in the house near a bright window and had different results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.