Switching to liquid chlorine from tablets

During summer months, pools consume 2-4 ppm of FC per day. Your pool will take about 1-gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day to gain 3 ppm. That's probably $3 to $4 per day. It would take two 8 oz. trichlor tablets per day to gain 3 ppm FC. If you buy the 50-gallon bucket, each tab costs about $1.30, so $2.60 per day (and you get a free bucket).

Each tablet will raise CYA by 1 ppm. So one month of tabs will raise CYA by 60. If you start at 40 ppm, you'll have to drain/refill monthly to keep algae at bay.

I'm just glad Mike did the math for us. :) Welcome to TFP! :wave: Of course if you can handle the initial up-front cost of a Salt Water Generator (SWG), which is about $1,200 +/- 100, it should last you at least five years with proper water chemistry and you won't have do do any jug dumping or collect empty tab buckets. ?

I forgot to figure in the extra trichlor tabs required to make up for the constantly increasing CYA to ensure minimum FC levels are maintained. It's too much math for me...just stick with liquid or go SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.