Switching to liquid chlorine from tablets

Nathan J

May 19, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
High CYA levels led me to this site and I am thankful for finding it. Now I am switching to liquid chlorine, but wondering cost wise, liquid chlorine vs the stabilized tabs. Any educated estimates?

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
During summer months, pools consume 2-4 ppm of FC per day. Your pool will take about 1-gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day to gain 3 ppm. That's probably $3 to $4 per day. It would take two 8 oz. trichlor tablets per day to gain 3 ppm FC. If you buy the 50-gallon bucket, each tab costs about $1.30, so $2.60 per day (and you get a free bucket).

Each tablet will raise CYA by 1 ppm. So one month of tabs will raise CYA by 60. If you start at 40 ppm, you'll have to drain/refill monthly to keep algae at bay.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I'm just glad Mike did the math for us. :) Welcome to TFP! :wave: Of course if you can handle the initial up-front cost of a Salt Water Generator (SWG), which is about $1,200 +/- 100, it should last you at least five years with proper water chemistry and you won't have do do any jug dumping or collect empty tab buckets. ?