Switching to a SWG need help

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
My Stenner pump broke. The motor runs but the spindle does not turn with the motor. I've had it for years now and replaced every part but when it breaks or gets a leak it takes me a while to realize I am not getting any chlorine in the pool. Plus liquid chlorine is getting expensive and tired of hauling jugs.

I had a Circupool 45 (Aug 2011) and hated that Dang unit. Kept leaking and shorting the cell. Unit was damaged in 2 years and their 7yr warranty did not cover the repair. Never kept my pool chlorinated so I tossed it after putting in $1200+ into the system 10 years ago. Now after reading all the reviews I think part of my issue was that unit did not work well with small flow rates using my low setting on 2 speed pump.

Last year I replaced my pump to a Pentair VS. Would like to get an iChlor but the reviews on this site are not that good. Also, can't seem to find info on the iChlor 60. I have no automation currently but would like to get in the future.

What do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You have solar and a number of water features, do you not have any type of automation?

OK -- in general the forum sees the Circupool SWCG's as the best value for a non-automation pool. I know you have history. If you wish to not use them, then a Hayward Aquarite T15 is the long time standard with lots of replacement parts and knowledge at trouble shooting. You will need a method to remove power from the SWCG when the pump is not running. So a standard timer for the SWCG may be needed.

If you wish to add automation, then a Pentair Intellicenter with an Intellichlor IC60 would be a great choice. This is a large upgrade that just in equipment is over $3K.

J,

You have a 24K pool, so an iChlor is not near big enough. We always recommend getting a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

As long at the flow switch is closed, then the flow rate of the pump has no effect on the amount of chlorine the cell is making.

Keep in mind that an IC60 would need a Power Center to work, unless you buy one of the Pentair automation systems that come with an internal SWCG power supply.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do they still make the IC 60? I only see the new IC 30.

I see you have the IC 40. Any issues? Would you purchase that again?

If I decide with the IC 60, what functionality can I use with my pump and connection cable? I run my pump 12hrs at 1100.

I see you have the IC 40. Any issues? Would you purchase that again?
Mine is now 8 years old. Oversized but still makes chlorine every day. Water chemistry maintenance is key to SWCG longevity.

If I decide with the IC 60, what functionality can I use with my pump and connection cable? I run my pump 12hrs at 1100.
Nothing without an automation system. If you install the full blown Intellicenter with actuators, etc, you will have full control via phone app.

J,

You have a 24K pool, so an iChlor is not near big enough. We always recommend getting a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.
I updated my pool stats in signature. My pool is 21,000 gallons.
Nothing without an automation system. If you install the full blown Intellicenter with actuators, etc, you will have full control via phone app.
Not even turning on/off the SWG with pump? Can I program pump to increase speed when SWG is on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not even turning on/off the SWG with pump? Can I program pump to increase speed when SWG is on?
Nothing without the Automation. There is no connection between the Intellichlor and pump. Must go through a Pentair automation box.

Nothing without the Automation. There is no connection between the Intellichlor and pump. Must go through a Pentair automation box.
If I go the automation route, should I still get the IC 60 or another SWG with another automation brand? Looking for bare bones automation that can be expanded to control water features? $3,000 is not in the budget right now.

The problem will be the water features. There is barebones automation, even Pentair, that will control the pump and SWCG and even the solar valve, but not the multiple actuators you need for sheer descents and other water features. You do not want to get another brand of automation as it likely will not control the pump.

SmartSense™ Flow Detection:

Connecting the iChlor SCG to an IntelliFlo pump (stand-alone mode).

SmartSense Flow Detection technology allows the connection of an IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump via RS-485 communication to an iChlor SCG power center while in stand-alone mode by simply attaching the RS-485 cable from the pump to the RS-485 connector located in the iChlor Power Center (see iChlor Power Center Wiring Diagram at the bottom of the next page).

SmartSense is a safety feature that will continually monitor the status of the IntelliFlo pump before generating chlorine.

An iChlor 30 will work for your 21K pool if you will run your pump and SWG 24/7 at low speed.

The iChlor 30 is low quality IMHO. If you view it as disposable for its low cost you may not be disappointed.

SmartSense™ Flow Detection:

Connecting the iChlor SCG to an IntelliFlo pump (stand-alone mode).

SmartSense Flow Detection technology allows the connection of an IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump via RS-485 communication to an iChlor SCG power center while in stand-alone mode by simply attaching the RS-485 cable from the pump to the RS-485 connector located in the iChlor Power Center (see iChlor Power Center Wiring Diagram at the bottom of the next page).

SmartSense is a safety feature that will continually monitor the status of the IntelliFlo pump before generating chlorine.
Allen, is that SmartSense™ Flow Detection a stand-alone product, or a feature of the IChlor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.