Swing Valve for Spa Won't Open

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
On the outlet side of the pump is a T-fitting with a swing valve that bleeds some water going to the pool and sends it to the spa. The problem is the swing valve doesn't open reliably, and then no water goes to the spa. The swing valve acts as a check valve for times you have the t-valve set to spa (all water going to spa), so water doesn't go into the pool side of the plumbing.

I looked at the valve, and there is no way to adjust the spring pressure. What are my alternatives?

Show us pics of the swing valve and your equipment around it.

Here you go.

The pipe in the middle going to the valve is from the hot water heater. The pipe on the right side of the valve and going down goes to the pool. The pipe on the left side of the valve and going down goes to the spa. The swing gate check valve in the middle flows from the pool side to the spa side when the valve is set to the pool side (as shown). I have checked the swing valve and it is not sticking. It just doesn't seem to have enough back pressure on the pool side to push the valve open

Pool Swing Valve.jpg

Michael,

So.. I assume the problem is that the spa no longer spills over into the pool. Is that correct?

It could be the Check valve is bad, but.. The number one reason for a spa spillway to quit working is a dirty filter.. Really weak flow will not push the check valve open.

If you have had the check valve out, you could have put it in backwards... Water should flow from the pool side to the spa side when the check valve is working correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Michael,

So.. I assume the problem is that the spa no longer spills over into the pool. Is that correct?

It could be the Check valve is bad, but.. The number one reason for a spa spillway to quit working is a dirty filter.. Really weak flow will not push the check valve open.

If you have had the check valve out, you could have put it in backwards... Water should flow from the pool side to the spa side when the check valve is working correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Yes, it won't fill and spill into the pool. I put a new check valve in, but it did not correct the situation. The valve will work occasionally when the filter is clean. The valve is definitely not in backwards.

Here is the other strange behavior. If I set the output valve to "spa" and run the pump for a minute, and then change it back to "pool", water will usually start flowing through the check valve. I figure that for the spa to flow, it has to open an anti-drain back valve at the spa. I have to admit, I've never figured out how this spa plumbing works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I set the output valve to "spa" and run the pump for a minute, and then change it back to "pool", water will usually start flowing through the check valve.
Michael,

There should not be any check valve at the spa..

It is easier to hold the check valve open that it is to initially open it.

Sounds like a dirty filter to me. When was the last time the filter was cleaned? What is the filter pressure when the spillover is not working?

When you feel the return water out of a pool eyeball, is it strong or weak?

Does your filter have an MPV that you can set to recirculate?

Might want to check to make sure there is nothing in the pump's impeller...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You sure the one you got has a 1/2 lb spring and not a stronger spring?

Michael,

There should not be any check valve at the spa..

It is easier to hold the check valve open that it is to initially open it.

Sounds like a dirty filter to me. When was the last time the filter was cleaned? What is the filter pressure when the spillover is not working?

When you feel the return water out of a pool eyeball, is it strong or weak?

Does your filter have an MPV that you can set to recirculate?

Might want to check to make sure there is nothing in the pump's impeller...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

These are very good questions.

The check valve appears to require the same pressure to open it, and holding it open. I don't feel any sticking.

The filter was recently cleaned. I disassemble the Pentair filter for cleaning, rather than back flushing. That way I can make sure it is thoroughly cleaned, and the proper amount of DE is put in.

Water from the eyeball in the pool was strong last time I checked. The pump is down right now with a defective motor, so I'll have to check again after the repair.

There is no recirculation valve for the filter.

I just removed the pump impeller to change out the motor, and it is clean.

Thank you!

1/2 lb force to open the valve.

Spring check valves can come with different springs for different applications.

What’s the psi when you have the spa return open? Restriction downstream on the spa side could cause this. It would need to be pretty significant and the flow coming out of the spa returns would be much slower than the pools.

Last edited:

I just took the valve out, and measured the opening force at the center of the valve. It measured 3/4 lb.

I just ordered a new one rated at 1/2 lb.
What’s the psi when you have the spa return open? Restriction downstream on the spa side could cause this. It would need to be pretty significant and the flow coming out of the spa returns would be much slower than the pools.

That's a good point. I believe it is about 15 psi when set to the spa. The pump motor is out of commission, so I can't check it right.

I ordered a new valve, and it was WAY larger than the old one. The one I purchased is a 2" valve. I thought I was ordering the correct size based on the OD of the union threads. Wrong! I am having some real difficulty finding this valve in the same size. It's a bit confusing. When the specifications say 2" valve, I can tell you the pipe fittings are not 2". The ID of the slip fittings for the unions are more like 2 3/8". I am wondering if the sizing is related to the size of the valve inside the assembly.

The current one is a double union valve with threads on each end. It has a 1 3/8 inside diameter and a 3 7/8" overall length. The inside diameter steps down to about 1" where the flapper is. So is this a 1" valve?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.