Swimming with CYA in sock/skimmer

I can't see that being an issue for swimming...

I find that it works better for me to put my CYA in ladies knee-high and dangle it in front of a return jet... Takes much less time for it to disperse into the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MCF50
I let mine soak for 24 hours in the skimmer and then swim them around. I wouldn't open my eyes in the underwater dust cloud that ensues, but I've swam in CYA milk many times without harm.

CYA is a very mild acid. It does not lower the pH enough to be a problem swimming while it is dissolving in the pool.

Well my CYA seems 'stuck' lol. I put the recommended amount in the sock and let it dissolve over several days and waited a day or 2 to measure and it is still between 50-60. Now when I am measuring I am adding drops until I just barely cannot see the dot - as in the dot cannot be seen at all. I do have pucks but am concerned about using them as I have no idea how to measure the impact. Should I close of SWCG and let water run thru the pucks for some time? Any idea how long/how many gpm. Or should I just add more powder in the sock? Trying to get it to between 60-70 on the scale.....thanks,

If you added the CYA to the water, it is in the water. Give it another week and test again.
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: MCF50
Some CYA takes longer than others to dissolve. I use the below. I put about 3lbs in a skimmer sock, put it in the skimmer for 20 minutes, then come back and squeeze it all out which takes about 10 minutes. It shows up almost immediately on CYA tests. Not sure where you guys get that CYA that doesn't dissolve but I have seen it several times.

If you added the CYA to the water, it is in the water. Give it another week and test again.
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....
Thanks.....I'll try that....so don't stare at it 'trying' to see the dot. Is there any more accurate/more precise test? I hate the 'can I see it, well maybe, add more solution, etc. etc."?

Thanks.....I'll try that....so don't stare at it 'trying' to see the dot. Is there any more accurate/more precise test? I hate the 'can I see it, well maybe, add more solution, etc. etc."?
This is what I see on my test. This is a test using the CYA reference solution. It is calibrated for 50ppm. So you fill to 50 and look at it and it is supposed to be what you see for a correct test. As you can see, the dot is still visible. I go off of this view and have never had an issue related to CYA being too much or too little.

1617204298183.png

Reactions: Teald024

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope this is the test.. The "glance trick" is so you don't see the optical illusion that is created by staring into the circle framed by the top of the vial. If you stare too hard you will be seeing googley eyes everywhere for the next hour.

@PoolGate, I can get my CYA into solution pretty quick by squeezing the sock.. takes about 20-30 min. but the CYA levels don't stabilize for a few days. But then again, my pools typical temp is usually pretty cool.

This is what I see on my test. This is a test using the CYA reference solution. It is calibrated for 50ppm. So you fill to 50 and look at it and it is supposed to be what you see for a correct test. As you can see, the dot is still visible. I go off of this view and have never had an issue related to CYA being too much or too little.

View attachment 318683
Hmmm. Interesting. Mine advises to not be able to see dot. I just checked again using waste level and looking down. Could def see it at 100 90 and 80. Couldn’t see at 70. I hope I didn’t overshoot it. But I guess 80 is still ok if it creeps up?

Hmmm. Interesting. Mine advises to not be able to see dot. I just checked again using waste level and looking down. Could def see it at 100 90 and 80. Couldn’t see at 70. I hope I didn’t overshoot it. But I guess 80 is still ok if it creeps up?

Using my picture as a reference image, and doing the drop addition until the dot "actually" disappears, you'd have a higher concentration of CYA than desired. So my picture might show CYA of 40 when the dot does go away which would make me want to add more CYA thinking it was too low.

I recommend the below for everyone to have a better idea what to look for in the CYA test. Lighting, your eyes and other factors change what you will see.

Reactions: mknauss
Precision in the CYA test is not needed. All this staring at the dot to get the perfect CYA number makes no difference to your pool water chemistry.

The only purpose of knowing your CYA value is to set your FC levels following the FC/CYA Levels.

As long as you error your CYA reading on the high side you are good. That is why we recommend you round up. Reading high on yout CYA test gives you a few more PPM of FC which is fine.

Look where your view of the dot fades out, round up, note the CYA level, and move on. if in doubt add 10 more to your CYA value.

This thread is a wealth of conflicting information...lol!!! I have the team that says, "If you see it add to next number, glance, if you see it repeat"....on the oppsite side of the field I have the "it should look like this (blurry but visible)" team. I'll go with what test kit says - until just no longer visible. Fill to line - look down - see dot - next line. repeat.....until I cannot see the dot. Thanks!

They are not conflicting, really, they aren't.
1) Its a logarithmic scale, so for all intents in purposes you can't measure between the lines. so don't try, and just fill to each line.
2) If you see it at a glance, then you see it, and fill to the next line.
3) If you stare at the Googly eye for too long you will fall int the Twilight Zone and will need a stiff drink 🍸to reset your mind... return to step 1
twilight zone GIF

Reactions: Wendy3tkl
Is there any more accurate/more precise test?
If you happen to have an HPLC instrument in your garage (and if you do, we should DEFINITELY be friends!).

I struggled with this test for some time due to the subjectivity. It helped me to make a couple of samples of water with a known amount of CYA and run them through the test so I had a visual benchmark of what to look for in a "disappearing" dot. Actually, I think you can buy a standard from the TF test kits folks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.