SWG with dual speed pump

Hammond

Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2017
Dallas, TX
I'm thinking of getting a swg for my pool. Today I have a single speed pump so I would probably have to replace it. Most people seem to be running the swg on a vs pump, but how well would it work on a 2 speed pump?

The SWCG will work fine. With a 2 speed pump you will either have the SWCG wired to the same timer (thus the SWCG will always be on when the pump is on) or have a separate time for each. You MUST have the pump running when the SWCG is powered. The SWCG has a flow switch that is a secondary safety device but the primary is no power to the cell when no water is flowing through it. A SWCG could explode if powered on and no water is flowing through it.

The low speed on the 2 speed pump should be sufficient to activate the flow switch of the SWCG unless you have very high back pressure.

Take care.

When we added rooftop solar heating we had to upgrade to a VS pump just for the noise. On low speed, the pump did not generate enough pressure to get the water up to the roof and enough flow for the SWG. On high speed it could do both of those things at the same time but was very noisy. Since the two-speed pump only had a manual switch to select speed, we went to a VS pump that could be controlled by the solar controller. VS pumps are also a bit quieter anyway.

Now the pump is on just the right speed, no faster than necessary, when the conditions are right for heating, but nearly silent at other times, unless you open the pump enclosure and stick your head inside.

We have a Cirrcupool SJ55 running with a two speed pump. We couldn’t be happier. We have the the SWCG and the pump on one timer. That way I don’t have to worry about timer synchronization while I’m out of town.

Bryan

it just seems easier to me with a dual speed rather then a vs. You may be paying slightly more for electric, but much easier to program and control

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.