SWG vs mineral system

OGSW20

Jun 11, 2019
San Jose, CA
I’m sure this topic has been talked about over and over and over. Everything I read on the internet is for mineral systems. However, I know most of you here prefer SWG. I am VERY new to all of this and very confused. Everything I read in TFP says go with SWG. On the flip side, everything I read not on TFP says mineral systems are great for health, skin, less chemicals, and water smells better.

How many of you here use a mineral system and are for it? And why?

The manufacturers that make mineral systems wouldn’t do so if there wasn’t a market for it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Those that follow TFP methods do not use minerals. FYI - minerals do not 'sanitize'. Chlorine does that.

Please read this..

You can also use our Advanced search box and enter "Fusion Mineral System" and see what we really think.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was planning to use the TFP method before I realized my PB put in that mineral system. And even based on what I find on the web, I would still be chlorinating the pool regardless with the mineral system.

I have read quite a bit here on the forum which leads me to more confusion.

I apologize if I sound like a newb, but the fact of the matter is, I am. I’m still trying learn and understand everything I need to know about my first pool.

You got it. You would still need to maintain chlorine levels even with the minerals, so why have the minerals? All they do is put you at higher risk of pool staining and green hair and also can provide a false sense of security since they do limit algae growth, but then you do not have algae as an early warning sign that your sanitization level is too low and the pool is not safe because disease transmission is not prevented.

TFP is all about adding only what the pool needs and the pool does not need metals in it to be safe and clear.

On the flip side, everything I read not on TFP says mineral systems are great for health, skin, less chemicals, and water smells better.

How many of you here use a mineral system and are for it? And why?

My AGP pool store sold me a silver based mineral system when I purchased the pool package. The installer did his job and put it in the system. What let me to this forum was my research into ways to stop using the "handy" cartridges that go inside it since they are very expensive. I'm frugal to put it nicely. So I decided before I even know what minerals were to stop using them.

In my opinion there is no SWG or a mineral system. It is a SWG + minerals or just a SWG or liquid chlorine. The mineral system add copper or silver to the water in an attempt to control algae. the minerals do nothing to prevent other disease causing organisms since the minerals have a very slow kill rate, if any. If you look at the mineral system, they must be pared with a valid sanitizing system (chlorine usually).

Anyone who follows the TFPC methods use the appropriate level of chemicals, water doesn't smell at all, and feels great on the skin. Controlling pH is a key to reducing skin and eye irritation, not minerals. Anyone who understands the TFPC method and follows it would never use a mineral system since it is an expensive unneeded and, more importantly, unwanted system.

The manufacturers that make mineral systems wouldn’t do so if there wasn’t a market for it.
While that's true, ponder this for a moment. Tobacco companies make products because there is a market for it. But every health professional and the packaging itself say that using tobacco will kill you. Just because a product is out on the market doesn't mean it is a good or useful product.

Reactions: onBalance
I think you are confusing "a market" for "a legitimate need". A market exists because they created it. These companies spread false or misleading information about chlorine in an attempt to create fear about the chemical and make the use of lower levels sound appealing or necessary. They call their products "mineral" systems to hide the fact that they are putting heavy metals in to your water. What your comment actually means is "they wouldn't make these systems if there wasn't money to be made" and it's absolutely correct. And boy, these systems make money.

Reactions: Hairyet
I have my FROG System for Sale - At least for 3 years and not one person has requested it. If I was selling an SWG system, this would go in 3 days. This should answer your question. Very little demand and somehow pool builders sell this "stuff"... because it makes them money.

BTW, I stopped using it 6 months after installation when my "free" stuff ran out as I realized this was not the solution and had joined TFP.

Last edited by a moderator:
True story - Once upon a time, I had an honest salesperson at a pool store after I bought my first spa. I went in and wanted non-chlorine sanitizer and tried pretty much every non-chlorine sanitizing method that was available. The salesperson always said "You will be back - chlorine is simple and it works!".

Well,many failed attempts at keeping my spa clean and sanitized proved her right. I finally saw the light and switched to chlorine. Now, as a semi-seasoned spa and pool owner, the TFP method really works and is simple to follow. Stick with it and you will be glad you did - and you will save $$$ and time. AND your pool will be sparkling clean!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all your input so far. I believe you guys. It seems like these PBs take the “easy route” to make your water clear at the least expense to them instead of suggesting what is best even if it cost more.

I will likely ask my PB to pull that mineral system out since I won’t be using it. Now in its place, do I just have him plumb it straight into the pool?

I’m very frugal as well and did not want to pay a pool guy to upkeep my pool. That’s how I found TFP and the BBB method while searching the web. Am I good with just following this method, or should I consider a SWG?

The installation of a SWCG is up to you. It adds your chlorine each day. That is it. You still need to test, add acid if necessary, etc. You have to adjust the SWCG occasionally so it is adding the chlorine your pool needs.

If you are home every day, and are willing to commit to adding liquid chlorine every day, then going that route is great too.

Cost is about a wash. You pay for the chlorine up front with the SWCG.

If you have the Pool Builder put in a SWCG, get ready for sticker shock. But with Jandy equipment, the only way to get any warranty for their equipment is to buy it through a Jandy dealer with a professional install.

You can easily put in a straight pipe with 2 unions there and it will look fine. This is what I did with mine. I even have a chlorinator that fits right it (regular one), and now installed an in-line Zinc Anode. This was done for when I sell the home, the new homeowner has a choice to do what ever they want. Everything is plumbed in properly. I doubt the FROG will ever be sold, so this can be plumbed in as well as I have extra unions.

Even if you decide to go with an SWG, you will on occasion still be using liquid chlorine.

i still have a frog system. i use it for vacations. there is no mineral cartridge in it though or the frog bac pac cartridge . i’ll put a few 3” tabs in a linen bag and place it in the chlorinate and take it out when i return, hence the tabs in a bag make it easy

mike

i still have a frog system. i use it for vacations. there is no mineral cartridge in it though or the frog bac pac cartridge . i’ll put a few 3” tabs in a linen bag and place it in the chlorinate and take it out when i return, hence the tabs in a bag make it easy

mike

I tried this a long time ago and found that the tablets were not dissolving properly, but maybe you had better luck. The only bad part about the FROG was that the 90 day algae was full of copper, the mineral cartridge (we had no idea what was in there) @ $90 a pop, and the bac pac cartridge was $15 a pop. Very expensive to run and even at 1 ppm (like they claim) I had algae, which of course was taken care of with bags of shock. Wow, what a SCAM.

O.

There are two types of Fusion systems.. The one you have, which uses chlorine tablets and minerals, and one that looks identical to me, that uses a SWCG and minerals...

Check with you pool builder and see if you can just swap at the systems.. If he says yes, then just remove the mineral cartridges and just use the SWCG..

Maybe, @PoolGate can tell us how his system is working...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The 2 systems are a straight swap. The FusionSoft comes with a blankout plate for the mineral cartridge section. You can just leave that on and never install a cartridge. That is how mine is configured.

I love the FusionSoft. I have never had an issues and run it at right around 53% for my 29k gallons. Flawless!

It is the exact same specs and output as the Jandy Aquapure. I think probably the same cell. 1.25lbs/24 hours for the 1400 series. I also suspect it will last just as long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.