SWG timer wiring

Steve33

Oct 23, 2021
Australia
Hi TFP people, first post.
I replaced a failed no brand mechanical timer which came with my SWG, a couple of years ago with a German made Grasslin. Identical clock except that the first clock had I think, four terminals and the Grasslin had five. I was very careful to keep the wires in the same order and wired them 1 to 4 and left the 5th empty. I'm not sure when it started but the replacement clock lost time every day.
I got a replacement Grasslin clock under warranty (the original wasn't sent back for testing), but it seems odd that the Grasslin didn't last nearly as long as the cheapo version. so I'm wondering if my wiring was wrong.
So my questions are:
1. Would an incorrectly wired clock run slow or would it just not run at all?
2. Should I perhaps have skipped the 4th terminal and wired the 5th?

20211023_205438_resized.jpg20211023_205509_resized.jpg

Leaflet which came with replacement timer:

20211023_205552_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Terminal 3 is the "hot" wire and is switched between terminal 4 and terminal 5.

Terminal 3 to 4 is "Normally Open" and closes and powers the device when the clock turn it on.

Terminal 3 to 5 is "Normally Closed" and opens and turns off a device when the clock turns on.

It sounds like you wired the SWG correctly using terminals 3 and 4.

I am not familiar with the Grasslin timer to know why it is running slow or failing on you.

Maybe one of your Aussie mates here understands your electrical system - @AUSpool @aussieta

Took the timer out of the SWG yesterday and have watched it closely, running on the lithium battery back-up. It was keeping very good time for about 8 hours then suddenly lost 45 minutes. I think it must be stripped gears rather than wiring or power supply issues.
Thanks for you help.

The wiring has no impact on the time other than it works or doesn’t. It sounds to me that its faulty rather than installed incorrect. Stripped gears? Maybe, but could also be bugs or corrosion. If it has a warrantee they probably wont honor it if you cant show it was installed by a licensed electrician.

The wiring has no impact on the time other than it works or doesn’t. It sounds to me that its faulty rather than installed incorrect. Stripped gears? Maybe, but could also be bugs or corrosion. If it has a warrantee they probably wont honor it if you cant show it was installed by a licensed electrician.
RS replaced it under warranty without much hassle. Just wanted to make sure wiring was correct before installing it.

Leave it the way you had it, 5 is not needed. The little switch in the clock (auto, on, off) are not the best. Don’t switch it under load or onto load. Turn off the power at the power point, toggle the switch, then turn the power back on at the power point.

The new one has lasted a week. I don't understand it. It has stopped completely and there is no ticking which there should be with the lithium battery back-up.
Wondering if it is fluctuating voltage or something else which is killing these clocks rather than something wrong with clocks or maybe I have just been unlucky.

Are you running your chlorinator from an off peak switched circuit? If so, your clock motor is running from it's battery power all day it probably just isn't capable of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.