SWG Run Time Calculator

Test the FC then wait and test again the next day around the same time. Thats how I did it over three days. Once the weather gets warmer and stays hot the FC demand will increase (at least mine does from the heat). I lose about 1 per day right now....

For me, when I took off my cover after winter, my FC was still around 12 iirc, so I had to wait several days as it declined towards my target and knew how much it lost per day. Now I just bump the % up little by little as it gets hotter outside.

This great calculator proves what I've always suspected and noticed: with a large-ish 40K pool dead in the Texas summer, I need *two* Hayward T-CELL-15 sized generators to keep up when running a 8-12 hour cycle. But I have one and have to augment chlorine in the summer or run the pump basically 22 hours/day.

I've never heard of anyone running two generators on one pool but I suppose it's not out of the question. I don't see why the could not be run in series.

This great calculator proves what I've always suspected and noticed: with a large-ish 40K pool dead in the Texas summer, I need *two* Hayward T-CELL-15 sized generators to keep up when running a 8-12 hour cycle. But I have one and have to augment chlorine in the summer or run the pump basically 22 hours/day.

I've never heard of anyone running two generators on one pool but I suppose it's not out of the question.

Not sure which would be better cost wise, to get a second SWG or just buy a larger one by a different brand. (On mobile and out and about, I'll look up prices when I get home). Also not sure if you have to have Hayward brand for automation or anything. Can you add a signature with your pool info?

If you do get a second Hayward, you should be able to run them in 2 lines running parallel to each other.

No difference chemically.

Your SWCG should be on timer as you do not have automation. It must never be possible to be powered on when the pump is not running.

Would it be best to run the SWG 100% 4 hours or 50% 8 hours for example?
i can control my SWG and Pump separate.

If the pump is run at the same speed for both 4 hours and 8 hours, the 8 hours option will use more power, so higher electric bill. If you slow the pump down for the 8 hour option, then won’t make much difference. As far as the lifespan of your SWG cell, they are both considered 4 hours of its life gone per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for this great tool! I had built something like this myself but much more basic and then found this! While the biggest issue is getting the "correct" 24 hour FC demand as this will change daily, it is a very helpful tool to understand how run time and percentage will affect ppm generation. I have been trying to get mine dialed in since the pool started about 2 months ago, but with recent 3 weeks of 100 degree temperatures with no rain followed by 2 weeks of 80 degrees with daily rain where I had to drain the pool by 2 inches already 3 times, I have been having to make adjustments every week.

Great calculator!!!! However now I am scratching my head. Installed the Jandy SWG last month. According to the calc, if my 24hr FC demand is 2.0 and I want to run my pump 24 hrs per day, I should set at 23% (in most cases). Is that right? Thanks

Last edited:
In this spreadsheet, I'm not sure I understand what the yellow cells mean. Legend says, "Possible, but exceeds acceptable." Can someone explain what that means?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.