SWG run time and %

Tbooux

Sep 29, 2019
Gonzales, Louisiana
New member with newly installed pool and trying to get everything balance out. Been studying everything on here and it’s been a huge help. Got my K-2006 test kit pretty much figured out.

I’ve Been struggling with PH but just realized running spa overflow and deck bubblers all the time increases PH due to aeration so I’ve shut off bubblers and set overflow to only run 30 min in morning and evening.

my main question is with my SWG % and run time. Currently have it set to 60% output and pool runs from 6am-11am and 4pm-8pm. FC level hovers around 1.5-2. I’m wondering best way to increase FC should I increase SWG output, runtime, etc.

Current stats below.
==========================================
Timmys pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 25000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 1.5 (2 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (2 hours ago)
pH: 8.0 (2 hours ago)
TA: 160 (2 hours ago)
CH: 300 (2 hours ago)
CYA: 60 (2 hours ago)
SALT: 3300 (2 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 83° (2 hours ago)
CSI: 0.53 (2 hours ago)

T,

Assuming that you have the 3 HP IntelliFlo, I would increase your run time and leave the % alone for now.. If you run the IntelliFlo at a low RPM (Just enough to turn the flow switch on plus 100 RPM) then you will not even notice the added run time on your electrical bill.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chlorinated is an IC-40

Correction on pump I have a 2hp whisperflo. Not a VS.

Retested this morning after yesterday’s additions: ==========================================
Timmys pool
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 25000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (6 minutes ago)
CC: 0.0 (6 minutes ago)
pH: 7.8 (6 minutes ago)
TA: 70 (6 minutes ago)
CH: 300 (14 hours ago)
CYA: 60 (14 hours ago)
SALT: 3300 (14 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 83° (14 hours ago)
CSI: -0.11 (6 minutes ago)

Last edited:
In Poolmath, go to Effects of Adding Chemicals. Hamburger Menu upper left of screen. Select SWG and the IC40. Enter your run time or % setting and see what FC level you are creating. I get 1.5 ppm FC per day with your information. Adjust the run time or % to create 3 ppm per day. Keep testing and adjust as necessary to maintain your FC within the target range for your CYA.

Reactions: Rq120
The SWCG can be run at 100% if that fits for your schedule. As you have a single speed pump that consumes lots of electricity, you might want to consider reducing your pump time, if your skimming needs allow that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I would do is enable the super chlorinate function on your IC40 for 24 hours and then test again. I would keep doing it until you get your FC at least up to 5-6 ppm, then set it back to 60% and extend your scheduled pump run hours until it maintains the FC level you're wanting to see.

I understand what you're saying Jim, I was only thinking of this as a 1 time process in order to get a new pool up to proper levels. Most likely it will only take 24 hrs to really bring up the FC, and that's not a ton of run time in the grand scheme of SWG life. I did this on my new install after seeing a PB go against the grain at my parents' place and not use LC upon start up. If you break down the cost per gallon of LC and $ per hour of SWG run, it can't be more to run SWG. I've broken it down to around $1.32 per 24 hrs of SWG run, plus the additional power cost to run the pump that duration.

Reactions: Newdude
Tim,

Using the super chlorination just uses up the cell.. We never recommend doing that.. Just add a little liquid chlorine to bring your FC up.
Jim, all due respect but my math disagrees with that. Take a brand new IC40 for comparison at $649. It’s rated for 8k hours (under perfect and ideal circumstances of course). Each hour of usage costs 8.1 cents. Running boost mode puts output to 100% for 24 hours which will use $1.94 of the cells life. When you subtract the usage hours that would have been used either way that amount will be cut in half for most people to around $1 a day for boost mode, which is about 1/3 of a gallon of liquid chlorine. I could spend $4 in gas just going to get the chlorine.

Reactions: Ankrumfishing
Jim, all due respect but my math disagrees with that. Take a brand new IC40 for comparison at $649. It’s rated for 8k hours (under perfect and ideal circumstances of course). Each hour of usage costs 8.1 cents. Running boost mode puts output to 100% for 24 hours which will use $1.94 of the cells life. When you subtract the usage hours that would have been used either way that amount will be cut in half for most people to around $1 a day for boost mode, which is about 1/3 of a gallon of liquid chlorine. I could spend $4 in gas just going to get the chlorine.

I was basing mine off of a VERY liberal 10k hour life expectancy and the lowest I've found a cell replacement online (~$550), but the numbers still remain low. The PB who taught me this said he never uses LC on a salt pool unless it was improperly maintained and in need of SLAM.

Reactions: Newdude
I was basing mine off of a VERY liberal 10k hour life expectancy and the lowest I've found a cell replacement online (~$550), but the numbers still remain low. The PB who taught me this said he never uses LC on a salt pool unless it was improperly maintained and in need of SLAM.
Every cell has a different # between cell life expectancy and purchase price. I looked up the IC40 for something else yeasterday so it was fresh in my mind and currently priced. But most of the Name brand cells cells should fall in the same general range of 7-10 cents per hour of usage.

All,

As always it is your pool and you can run it anyway you want.. We do not recommend using the super chlorinate because we do not want people to get in the habit of using it.. I agree that one time is not a big deal, but it is that slippery slope we don't want people to go down. Adding a little liquid chlorine is quick, and running the cell is not. If you go back and look at some of our old threads you can find places where people are saying things like.. "I've had it on super chlorinate for a week and I still can't get the FC up." Really??

For me, the cost of the cell in comparison with the cost of chlorine is not the point.. I like the idea that I'm going to get every second out of that cell before it bites the dust. :mrgreen:

I am not against an opposing view, and have no problem with you recommending it. It is just something that TFP is not going to be doing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

For me, the cost of the cell in comparison with the cost of chlorine is not the point.. I like the idea that I'm going to get every second out of that cell before it bites the dust. :mrgreen:

We all have our own things that are pet peeves. Cheers.

All,

As always it is your pool and you can run it anyway you want.. We do not recommend using the super chlorinate because we do not want people to get in the habit of using it.. I agree that one time is not a big deal, but it is that slippery slope we don't want people to go down. Adding a little liquid chlorine is quick, and running the cell is not. If you go back and look at some of our old threads you can find places where people are saying things like.. "I've had it on super chlorinate for a week and I still can't get the FC up." Really??

I am not against an opposing view, and have no problem with you recommending it. It is just something that TFP is not going to be doing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree with that Jim, I was just pointing out either initially or once in a while shouldn't be a problem. If someone is constantly having to run it, they're either undersized on the SWG or they need to identify the problem causing that.

It was more about what I have just done on a new pool startup and offering some of my advice. I have yet to use any LC, and I only ran the super chlorinate function for 24 hours to get the FC in a workable range. Then I just set the IC at 60% on a 10 hour schudule and have worked the FC to around 6%.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.