lexington, ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
This is probably a silly question for most of you, but I've learned that no question is really silly. So, here I go. I'm adding an Aquatrol SWG to my Summer Waves pool. I'm definitely not a plumber. Eventually I plan to hard pipe things, but for now, I just want to get my SWG going and not have to manage liquid chlorine every other day (yes, I'm lucky, it's a light bather load - I have been testing every day). I'm stuck with how to get the return jet elbow of the Aquatrol integrated back into the pool return. Since Hayward has proprietary threads, I'm not sure exactly which fitting I need. Do I need the SP1023, or a 1.5" spa return jet fitting, or a bulkhead fitting? I would like to integrate back into the Summer Waves return jet threads, but if I need to stay with the Hayward, I can live with that. They do have a "fun" but functional fountain add on I can use to cool the water if necessary as the summer heats up. At this point it's starting to look like math from my viewpoint; there's lots of approaches to get the same answer. I appreciate any words of advice. Thank you!

It should come with both sides of the union to install into the plumbing... Are you wanting to use some other kind of connection?

You can see here where it installs into hard pipe from the ends.. Are you trying to stay with the smaller flex hose?

1625653845596.png

Thank you for the photo! It really helped alot. I have a crazy assembly of pvc parts but the cell is finally atttached to the pool! I am, however, now getting a low flow light. I figure it is from one of 3 things, but it could be from something else. #1- I did not use the original RJ tailpiece that came with the unit. The elbow (return jet) is being provided by the pool's return elbow. Could this be a problem? #2-I have a pretty good bend in the hose between the salt cell and the return. I figure is probably the culprit. What do you all think? #3-Something is wrong or loose on the controller (since it is used). #4- Oh yeah, this should have been number 3 - my pump doesnt send enough water through.

Any thoughts, other ideas? I can fix the hose thing. I even thought about a horizontal install with enough hose. Good or bad?

Do you have an Aqutrol RJ or HP SWG?

The RJ model comes with a slightly different set of connectors than the HP model, and is missing the flow switch which is required for inline usage. You can purchase the flow switch and connectors separately to convert an RJ into an HP.

The RJ model must be hung by its return to properly vent hydrogen gasses.

The HP model comes with a flow switch that plugs into the control box.

I'm embarrassed to post this because it's so bendy, but here goes. So to be clear, I have to have the aquatrol's RJ. I cannot substitute another return jet or elbow.

Attachments

• Low flow too much bend.jpg
    Low flow too much bend.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 48
Can I hard pipe this? Also, can I install this horizontally? I was thinking I would get more pipe (flex or pvc) and just move it further away to relieve the hose tension.

Is your cell an Aquatrol RJ cell?

Is your control box an Aquatrol RJ box?

The way you have your cell it needs to be an Aquatrol HP cell.

Or the Aquatrol RJ cell needs to be hung at the return as shown in the Installation Manual.

do you know what size pump you have?

Its an RJ. Controller is an Aquatrol RJ box too as far I can tell. It's also a twist lock. I'll get a photo of the box posted. Pump is an SFX 1500, puts out 1500 gals per hour. I check cartridge every day. I've found if I throw one of my fish tank media bags on top of the cartridge, most of the bugs are caught there and and I can shake 'em off every day. It saves time cleaning the cartridge and doesn't impede flow at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post a pic of the bottom of your Aquatrol control box.

20210709_163008.jpg
Its an RJ. Controller is an Aquatrol RJ box too as far I can tell. It's also a twist lock. I'll get a photo of the box posted. Pump is an SFX 1500, puts out 1500 gals per hour. I check cartridge every day. I've found if I throw one of my fish tank media bags on top of the cartridge, most of the bugs are caught there and and I can shake 'e20210709_163049.jpgm off every day. It saves time cleaning the cartridge and doesn't impede flow at all.
Well, it's backwards, but can see the RJ
And, this is the display panel opposite the RJ UPC code
Post a pic of the bottom of your Aquatrol control box.
Will do

Attachments

• 20210709_171002.jpg
    20210709_171002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20
AFAIK, all Hayward swcg's are built with a 6 pin phone jack at the bottom. From the label it is a TROL-RJ-TL (Canadian). I can only assumed the original PCB was replaced with a TROL-HP model. To confirm the mainboard model, please run the diagnostic and post it here. Fyi, the Aquatrol uses a T-5 cell but you can use the larger T-15 cell by placing a jumper at J4 on the pcb.
Please take a gander at the below link for more info.

View attachment 353526

Well, it's backwards, but can see the RJ
And, this is the display panel opposite the RJ UPC code

Will do

Is there a connector jack in this hole?

300px-Hayward_Aquarite_GLX-PCB-XXXX_RJ11_PinOut.jpg

If so, that is your flow switch connnection and you have a -HP box that requires a flow switch.

Haywrad Aquatrol Bottom1.jpg

that pump is supposed to do 1500 gal an hour.. if so it would be 25 gallons a minute.. I bet it is only pushing 10 to 12 gallons a minute.. What is the minimum flow for this SWG?

What on the label tells you it is a Canadian model?
Just a hunch, I went by the Twist Lock AC plug, pages 11-12 (Input Power) from link below. Whereas, the Aquatrol US model is wired for 120VAC with a standard Flat Plug. Our Twist Lock wall socket at home in CA is running 220VAC.

The RJ version of the Aquatrol does not use a flow switch since it is designed to attach directly to the return port to expel any hydrogen gas.
The Firmware (not SW) will determine if the pcb is a HP (AL-6) or RJ (AL-7). What does it says in the diagnostic? By default, the "No Flow" indicator is disabled for the RJ model.
Here's an excerpt from the Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

For regular AquaRite, the setting can be changed from AL-0 to Al-5.
For Aquatrol, the AL setting is either set to AL-6 or AL-7.
The regular Aquatrol uses a flow switch. The RJ (Return Jet) model doesn't use a flow switch.
The model number should be inside the door.
In diagnostics, AL-6 means regular Aquatrol, AL-7 means return jet.
I'm sure that there's a way to change the setting, but Hayward isn't releasing that information. It is the name sent to an automation system.

• AL-0 is AquaRite.
  • AL-1 NatureSoft.
  • AL-2 MineralSprings.
  • AL-3 SmartPure.
  • AL-4 This changes the default display from average salt to percent output.
  • AL-5 This is used with Jandy automation.
  • AL-6 and AL-7 are used on the AquaTrol, which is an AquaRite with a timer for above ground pools.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.