SWG Orientation

Which unit ? If it has an external flow switch, then yes. If it has an internal /all in one flow switch, it needs to be mounted with upward flow so that gravity doesn’t accidentally close the switch when the flow is off.

you can also use a ‘vertical kit’ to be horizontal. Cut the down pipe and re-route it left and back to the right before continuing down the original pipe. Or front to back, etc. the premade kits are great but can be made from parts at Home Depot for $10 instead of $30.

*edit.

if you do have an externally switched unit your really don’t have anywhere to put said switch as that can’t be mounted downward either.

you’ll have to use a longer pipe to the side.

I thought I might have to replace the run. It just seemed like a lot of corners for what I wanted to do. Anybody want to recommend a unit for a 18K pool? The electrical box is attached to a 4x4 just to the right of the filter. It's an old pool so I have no automation to speak of.

I thought I might have to replace the run
I was going that way too until I saw the all in one equipment base. It kinda limits the options unless you come up with new stuff for the filter and pump to sit on, Which although a bit of a pain and some doing, would be far cheaper than replacing the pump/filter.

But hey !!! If this is your excuse to need new equipment, I’m in !!! I’ve exaggerated many of my own excuses why I needed something new. Lol. @cowboycasey is my guy on these.

Pentair actually suggests vertical install. Here's mine. Water flow is through the filter, then a UV-C appliance, then through the heater, then up through a backflow preventer (to keep chlorine from settling in the heater coil), then up through the IC40 SWSG. Then over and down to the split/valve to spa and pool. So far so good.

Attachments

• IC40-1202.jpg
    IC40-1202.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 38
You rang :)

I love recommending new equipment... Are we talking new filter or both pump and filter?

what type of costs are we talking and I would Highly recommend a VS pump.. They are really worth the extra cost.. :)

Would you be interested in one of these?

Great pump at a great price..

This is a great filter that has 9 years going on my pool with zero issues.. I clean it once a year :)

Your filter will work with 3 90 degree fitting and some extra pipe.. It will not add to much pressure at all...

Crude sketch :)

1627351986485.png

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll keep the pump information in mind for the future. However, I really wanted some input on the SWG. My pool season is relatively short so I'm not going to replace my single speed until it dies. I can't justify the cost of a VS pump vs. the amount of electricity I use.

Thanks for the sketch. That's pretty much what I thought I'd have to do.

Replacing or adding *anything* becomes a rabbit hole for all of us. :)

Now isn’t the time for you, but you got a great idea for when the time does come.

Thank you for the information, although I'm aware of the regulations regarding a single speed pump. Energy in Ohio is not that expensive and a 4 month swim season curtails my use of the pool. Don't get me wrong I'm all for energy efficiency. It's why I have a geothermal HVAC system. However, one size does not fit all and I'm more than fed up with government regulations.

What I'd really like to see is a full life cycle analysis of the total costs of an incandescent light bulb vs. a CFL or a LED. Cost of materials, cost of manufacture, cost of disposal, cost to the environment and finally energy costs. I'm a cynic when it comes to the "green" movement. Some of it makes sense and some of it is just market forces trying to sell you something new because there isn't that much profit in an old mature technology.

Rant off and we return you to normal pool programing. :eek:

Reactions: cowboycasey
I appreciate the information. I've learned a lot from your posts so my comments were not directed at you. I'm just a little taken aback at the prices for a VS pump. I've had the pool for a long time (20 years) so I started researching pump and filter prices along with the cost of a SWG. That's quite a bill to start replacing things.

I just bought this 3 HP VS this morning for the price alone :) and I already have a VS pump..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.