Ps6fsu

Jul 12, 2021
Wilmington, DE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Opened the pool on Monday and have been battling low chlorine levels. Last year was the first year having the pool and after some trial and error, I found that running my SWG at 40% production for the 16 hour pump cycle (@1800 rpm) kept me around 5-6 ppm. Since opening, I have had my SWG running at 100% and can't get chlorine level above 4 ppm. Not sure if it means anything but I also noticed the typical tiny bubbles I usually see coming out of the returns were not present. I had a local pool service close my pool last year and open this year since it was my first close/open. They take the electrolytic cell to the shop for cleaning and then return at open. I figured I would try cleaning again to see if that would help. Upon removing the cell, i found what looks like white melted plastic. I tried using the recommended 10:1 water:muriatic acid solution soak for 5 minutes but this stuff didn't budge. Anyone ever see this? Is this calcium deposits? I chipped off a piece and put it in a cup with straight acid and nothing happened. I'm lost.

Attachments

• 20220513_074422.jpg
    20220513_074422.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Kind of an odd pattern for scale as mine s usually more in chunk forms. When I clean my cell I generally use a 4-1 ration of water-to-muriatic acid. 10-1 seems a bit weak. As a test, you can also (carefully) use a wooden stick to help break-off any chunks. If you get enough off, you can test on the ground by placing in a pile and pouring a tiny bit of full strength acid on it. It should fizzle right away confirming scale.

Once you get the cell clean, try to maintain a slightly negative CSI as noted in the PoolMath APP to help prevent the build-up of scale in the future. Also remember that if your water is still chilly (about 60 or below) the cell may not produce chlorine.

Here is a post from yesterday that shows the same material on a member's SWG. Unfortunately, no resolution...

Negative, just 5 lbs of DE. Just recently backwashed and didn't see any of this crud coming out. I was able to scrape almost all of it off with a knife. Doesn't seem to be in the plates so not sure what is going on. Does the water temp really reduce production? The water temp is now 66. It ran at 100% from 8am to 10pm yesterday. FC went from 4.5 to 5.5. Something has to be off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.