With SWG pools requiring high CYA, how do you SLAM to open a pool?

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
I've been battling algae this year and it's my fault because I'm just too busy to maintain this pool. I'm seriously considering going salt next year. But one thing that concerns me is how do I open the pool with such a high CYA? SWG needs like 80 CYA? SLAMming that is a nightmare. How are you supposed to open it?

Close with this procedure. Do it late...like October 29th. Water <60 Degrees. Follow it to the T with Polyquat 60.

Open before the water gets to 60 degrees. I open April 15. My FC was still 2.

Your CYA will also degrade over the winter and will be lower than expected. When you get to late August, let the CYA degrade until you close...Will be 50-60...and likely lower when you open. This lower CYA will give you insurance if you need to SLAM. Likely not if you follow my dates and recommended process.

I'm in NE Ohio.

Last edited:
What he said ☝️☝️☝️☝️
Close algae free after water temps are low 60’s & falling (I close at slam level after passing oclt)
Then open before water temps rise above the mid 60’s.
I open crystal clear with fc to spare this way. This year at opening I still had 14ppm fc.
I always do an opening oclt to be sure I am good to go.
Notes:
I do use a solid cover.
I do not use polyquat.

As mentioned by the time closing comes you can let cya fall to the 60’s if you wish.
80 is really just needed for the dog days of summer.

Reactions: Getitrite
I've been battling algae this year and it's my fault because I'm just too busy to maintain this pool. I'm seriously considering going salt next year. But one thing that concerns me is how do I open the pool with such a high CYA? SWG needs like 80 CYA? SLAMming that is a nightmare. How are you supposed to open it?
SWG does NOT require 80 CYA. It’s just that people have found that 80 CYA -can be- helpful in protecting chlorine and make the SWG not work as hard. You can operate with 60 CYA just fine. And if you maintain the right amount of FC, you won’t need to SLAM the pool.

With many months off and a permeable cover to let the off season rain in, I open to CYA under 30 every year. Last winter was unusually dry and it was the most I ever had in the early spring with 20 to 30.

I close late (3rd week in October), open early (by last week in April), close with PQ60, have a solid cover and have never needed to SLAM the pool at closing or opening.

CYA always needs to be raised at pool openings.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In your neck of the woods mid August/September you stop raising the CYA and let live. By the time you close it'll be high 40's to mid 50's territory. By the time you open next season between winterizing and precipitation you can be somewhere 20-30's.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.