Reno, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Opened my pool a couple weeks ago and all looks good but my SWG seems to not be producing much if any.
I replaced the cell at the beginning of last season, May 2018. My first thought is it was bad even though all lights indicate it's working.
I've been adding a gallon of LQ 10% every few days thinking it's just getting caught up from the opening. But I don't want to add much as it's increasing my salt.
I've been running super chlorinate every few days while running the pump 24 hours at a time. Normal run time is 10 hours a day.
Keeping it set at 80% normally in the past 40%-50% works perfect.
I'm re-cleaning (did it two weeks ago) the cell now in a 20% (MA 31%) soak to see if that's the issue even though it looks clean.
My numbers are;
FC 1
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 180
CYA 80
Salt 3900
Temp 88
Pool looks, smells, feels great, and perfectly clear. Just not getting chlorine.
Any thoughts?

Every time you acid wash your cell you decrease its life. Don’t clean the cell unless there is visible scale. If your cell is scaling you need to look at your water chemistry.

Do an OCLT.

If all the lights are green you are getting chlorine. The question is what in your water is consuming it.

Last edited:
av,

As Allen points out you need to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss test.. See this link... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Either your SWCG is bad, or it is not.. If the cell light comes on and off like it should, then the cell "should" be ok... The cell can only generate a little chlorine at a time, so if your pool has algae, even if you can't see it yet, it will consume all the chlorine that the cell can make..

Doing an OCLT will tell you if you have chemistry issue or not. You need to add enough liquid chlorine to get your pool up to 8 or 10 ppm of FC.. With the cell off, test just after dark and then again before sunrise and if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC when dark, you have a chemistry issue...

Assuming you pass the OCLT, you can run it again the next night with the cell on.. The increase in FC is how much your cell has produced..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Actually did it last night. Tested at 7pm and again this morning both 1ppm. I will raise it up today and try again with a higher level. The cell was not running last night.

Got it up to 6.5, 12 hours later 4.5 so I guess I'm almost there. I will check again in a few days and see how the output is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.