Lehigh Acres, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Per the suggestions of many on this forum, we are converting our pool to salt water. Already had a new Gulf Stream heater installed last week, and having a SWG, pump, filter, and automation installed as I write this post. So what do I need to do first, test the water for salt level, then figure out how much salt to add to start off? What should a person look for when buying bags of salt? What brands/stores do you pros recommend? To start off I will probably just have the local pool supply store test my water, but eventually I'd like to do the testing myself, so I need to learn what to buy in order to perform water testing.

Just order a salt test kit from - Salt

So what do I need to do first, test the water for salt level, then figure out how much salt to add to start off? What should a person look for when buying bags of salt?

Yes.

What brands/stores do you pros recommend?

Read Salt - Further Reading

To start off I will probably just have the local pool supply store test my water, but eventually I'd like to do the testing myself, so I need to learn what to buy in order to perform water testing.

Cut out the middleman and just do your own testing.

after you get yourself one of the above mentioned test kits, go to the hardware store and get a bag of water softener salt without the iron out additive. just the plain stuff. Here in the midwest i go to Menards and get the solar naturals salt crystals. $6.22 for 50 lb. bag

after you get yourself one of the above mentioned test kits, go to the hardware store and get a bag of water softener salt without the iron out additive. just the plain stuff. Here in the midwest i go to Menards and get the solar naturals salt crystals. $6.22 for 50 lb. bag

I wish the salt was that cheap here. I just paid $9.58 per bag of Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals salt crystals. The few bags of their Diamond Crystals pool salt were mangled. They're cheaper than the water softener salt at $8.98 per bag. Both are 40 lb bags.

I miss Menards. Here in SW Florida we just have the typical big hardware chains like Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware. I wish Menards would come down here.