Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V25
Hi everyone

I see the general recommendation is to run higher CYA levels for a SWG pool. That seems to be to reduce load on the SWG cell and reduce ph rise.

Does the higher FC needed for the higher CYA make more of a chlorine smell? Or does the fact that the CYA is binding some of it up make it equivalent comfort-wise with running a lower FC level?

Thanks, my pool is new and I want to be sure before I start upping the CYA level.

Geday Nathan, welcome to the forums,

Simple answer is no. More FC wont produce a chlorine smell when you’ve got CYA in the water. Up to ~97% of active chlorine as hypochlorous acid reversibly binds to CYA to form chlorinated cyanurates which provides a reserve of active hypochlorous acid and makes our water really nice to swim in. I keep my CYA at 70ppm and FC at 5-7ppm through summer and you’d never know I had chlorine in the water.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
Look at any level on the chart as equals because they are proportionatly the same. More of one needs more of the other to retain the same sanitizing proportion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.