SWG costs

I would think the dominant supplier, DeNora hedged it's position for most of this year but that will allow THEM to create higher markups to Hayward, Pentair, Jandy going forward. Spot prices over time will eventually become THE PRICE. There isn't much competition for those who make the plates. The transistor mfg, hard drive mfgs. and European fuel cell mfgs are the MAIN buyers of iridium and ruthenium, followed by the salt cell market.

Consumers are going to have to eventually weigh the cost of salt cells vs manual dosing. Convenience vs hauling jugs and buckets around (and storing). At what price point do salt cells become too expensive? $750? , $1000, $1500?

I don't know.
Excellent points. I have a small permanent AGP and use the intex SWG. I got it for maybe $175 a couple years ago. I was thinking of upgrading this year and holy moly for my 5,000 gal pool its almost $1,000. No thanks.

I just add about 3 cups of bleach every week to supplement the fact I only run my pump 4 hours a day.

Almost just fell off my chair, an intex SWG for 7,000 gal pool is $638 on amazon and $800+ on walmart.

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Excellent points. I have a small permanent AGP and use the intex SWG. I got it for maybe $175 a couple years ago. I was thinking of upgrading this year and holy moly for my 5,000 gal pool its almost $1,000. No thanks.

I just add about 3 cups of bleach every week to supplement the fact I only run my pump 4 hours a day.

Almost just fell off my chair, an intex SWG for 7,000 gal pool is $638 on amazon and $800+ on walmart.
I paid $850 for my Edge40 a little over a year ago but don't think I would pay $1300 for one and a waiting list!

You can use this analysis as a guide. A few years ago it was a wash. An SWG and manually chlorinating cost about the same over the life of an SWG. SWGs may be getting more expensive but so are jugs of chlorine. Since liquid chlorine is manufactured using some of the very same electrochemistry as an SWG uses, price changes of metal catalysts will affect both.

My IC-40 has gone out and I need to replace it. Does anyone have experience with this generic offering from Discount Salt Pools? The reviews are very promising.

I don’t know that one specifically. But. Make absolutely sure you find the expected lifespan hours and it is 8k-10k. Many generic cells have smaller plates and can be rated as low as 3K hours, but be 80% of the price.

There are good genetics out there but it’s easier to find a dud.

The unit you posted will not connect to a Pentair automation system.
If you do not have automation, it will work. I have not seen a member post that they have one of these.

1622157357095.png''

Figure 1 – Ruthenium Price per Troy Ounce in USD by Month, April 2012-March 2021. Source: Paumanok Publications, Inc. Industrial Market Research – Monthly Market Research Report on Passive Components and Raw Materials. Paumanok has red-flagged this price increase for Ruthenium metal because of its significant impact on the cost to produce thick film chip resistors.
from here: Resistor Markets Tighten as Ruthenium Prices Skyrocket | doEEEt.com

View attachment 338459''

Figure 1 – Ruthenium Price per Troy Ounce in USD by Month, April 2012-March 2021. Source: Paumanok Publications, Inc. Industrial Market Research – Monthly Market Research Report on Passive Components and Raw Materials. Paumanok has red-flagged this price increase for Ruthenium metal because of its significant impact on the cost to produce thick film chip resistors.
from here: Resistor Markets Tighten as Ruthenium Prices Skyrocket | doEEEt.com
All these shortages are strange. Has America became that greedy?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think the dominant supplier, DeNora hedged it's position for most of this year but that will allow THEM to create higher markups to Hayward, Pentair, Jandy going forward. Spot prices over time will eventually become THE PRICE. There isn't much competition for those who make the plates. The transistor mfg, hard drive mfgs. and European fuel cell mfgs are the MAIN buyers of iridium and ruthenium, followed by the salt cell market.

Consumers are going to have to eventually weigh the cost of salt cells vs manual dosing. Convenience vs hauling jugs and buckets around (and storing). At what price point do salt cells become too expensive? $750? , $1000, $1500?

I don't know.

I bought a Circupool CORE55 for $1200 a few months ago, it's now $1850 on Amazon... crazy.

I've been trying to dialing it in over the course of the last week and am a bit concerned that it is TO oversized for my pool... I may need to add a timer to regulate it instead of shortening the pump run time.

I bought a Circupool CORE55 for $1200 a few months ago, it's now $1850 on Amazon... crazy.

I've been trying to dialing it in over the course of the last week and am a bit concerned that it is TO oversized for my pool... I may need to add a timer to regulate it instead of shortening the pump run time.
I stalled a smart plug on mine and it’s on a totally different circuit. Just have to make sure your SWG run time in when the pump is on.
My pump runs 16 hours and my Edge40 is set to 50% power and smart plug is set to only run 10 hours.
But with a Salt water pool your not sticky like a chlorine ( liquid or tablets ) so having FC higher isn’t a bad thing . In fact my lesson learned is don’t try to run it as low as possible :)

Reactions: aztodd
I would not buy any SWGs off Amazon. The price will be inflated and, if you’re dealing with a 3rd party seller, your risk of getting bad equipment or lousy customer support goes way up. Buy direct from suppliers online, it’s usually cheaper.

Reactions: IUsedToSail
I stalled a smart plug on mine and it’s on a totally different circuit. Just have to make sure your SWG run time in when the pump is on.
My pump runs 16 hours and my Edge40 is set to 50% power and smart plug is set to only run 10 hours.
But with a Salt water pool your not sticky like a chlorine ( liquid or tablets ) so having FC higher isn’t a bad thing . In fact my lesson learned is don’t try to run it as low as possible :)

I would not buy any SWGs off Amazon. The price will be inflated and, if you’re dealing with a 3rd party seller, your risk of getting bad equipment or lousy customer support goes way up. Buy direct from suppliers online, it’s usually cheaper.
I bought mine from Discount Salt Water Pool... they were great on the phone.

I 2nd on Amazon. Have bought car parts off Amazon that were sold as a “ genuine Mercedes part” and get a cheap knock off. Had it will other stuff as well so buyer beware.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.