SWG costs

Sorry to comment on an older post like this, but I have been reading a lot more lately here and catching up on some good info. I have the Hayward Aquarite (T-15) *knock on wood* have not had a single issue with it and have had it for over 4 years-same cell. Will it throw an error/code if the thermistor goes bad? I just want to be on the lookout for it. And by controlling the salinity you mean maintaining a minimum salt level or because of too much salt?
No need to apologize! there are some tell tail signs that always seem to happen when a cell is getting close to the geriatric stage of its life. The most obviously is the measured salinity does not match the salinity the controller displays. When those numbers start to diverge its usually a sign the cell needs to be retired. Also the Instant Salinity readings on each polarity should pretty much mach. When they start to differ then its going. Read up on the troubleshooting parts of Hayward SWG cells info in the wiki. There is lots of good info:

Remember last year when I warned everyone that sticker shock was coming to the salt cell market? The main culprit has been the iridium and ruthenium minerals (coatings used on the plates) that are being mined in South Africa. The variant Covid strain that originated there shut down all these mines thereby choking off 80% of the world's supply. Couple that with the rise of these materials being used in new European hydrogen fuel cell manufacturing and there was also highly speculative demand that tried to the corner the market, especially for iridium. A 600% rise in these mineral costs can easily result in a 50% rise in salt cell costs although I'm sure the bigger players like Hayward and Pentair may have forward looking contracts that somewhat insulates them from that large of an increase (perhaps holding it down to a 25% increase).

Now for those manufacturers who haven't raised prices you should be asking yourself why. It's easy to go from 6000 hour plates to 3000 plates and keep the price the same because how would anybody know unless they test the plates on an expensive acoustic microscope. Or one can continue to buy CompuPool cells not knowing that you would have to call Australia for customer service.
I had a CompuPool SW generator. Customer service from Australia was excellent. It was working great when I sold the house!

I just got the IC40 for $1,035 with tax. Then another $400 for the power unit. Bought on Amazon because no one else had it in stock. Both were genuine from pentair.

Priced out IC40’s and IC60’s back in May. 40’s were running around $900 (without power supply) and 60’s were $1200. Went with a new IC60. Noticed all my typical expenses (food & utilities) were way up over the last 3 months compared to last year. Inflation and supply chain issues are really killing consumers right now.

Priced out IC40’s and IC60’s back in May. 40’s were running around $900 (without power supply) and 60’s were $1200. Went with a new IC60. Noticed all my typical expenses (food & utilities) were way up over the last 3 months compared to last year. Inflation and supply chain issues are really killing consumers right now.
May I ask where you purchased your IC60 replacement cell from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.