SWG - cold weather

carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
We're hitting a couple of really cold days now. Well, not really compared to everyone else, but cold for here. Night temps last night were 35, and tonight will be 32. I just checked my water temp and its 64. Can I assume that my SWG will continue to work these next couple of days? After these 2 days we'll be back up to warmer temps. From what Ive read, the SWG should continue to work, but Id like to confirm.

Check your owners manual for your specific SWCG. Some shut off around 55F water temperature, some reduce chlorine generation at a certain temperature and then shut off at a lower temperature. You can add a dose of liquid chlorine if the SWCG shuts off for a few days.

Reactions: carnivalday
Thanks Marty. I think I downloaded the owners manual somewhere. I dont think the water will get below 55, and even if it does, it will only be for a few hours. Ill keep watch on it and the FC level.

My SWG controller just says "cold" on the display when its below its temp threshold. During that time I start monitoring the CL and manually add CL. When it warms up.. it starts producing again.. If your curious you should test your Cl when the temp hits about 60 and I think you'll notice the Cl production of your SWG drops off as it gets colder.

Since chlorine lasts so much longer during the cooler months, I find it just as easy to just turn the SWG off and dose with liquid chlorine. Then I don't have to be guessing about water temps and will the device work or not?

Maddie :flower:

Since chlorine lasts so much longer during the cooler months, I find it just as easy to just turn the SWG off and dose with liquid chlorine. Then I don't have to be guessing about water temps and will the device work or not?

Maddie :flower:
Year 3 and i just figured that one out last year too, so I keep a few bottles on hand for those days! Canadian over here. There are quite a few of those days. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.