SWG Broken - Just installed a new one today and I'm not sure if i should add salt.

Westonator

Mar 28, 2022
Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi there!

Been reading all of the forums and went through "pool school" twice, but I'm at a little bit of a loss on what to do.

~15,000 Gal. Saltwater Pool

Measurements:
FW:1.2
Total Chlorine: .22
pH: 7.8
TA: 96
CH: 167
CYA: 5
Phosphates: 495
Salt: 1263
Water Temp: 62F

Any thoughts on what I should do? My DE filter has been cleaned and fully recharged and is at a good PSI.
My SWG has been re-installed and I believe to have set it up correctly on the Aqua-Rite interface.

Do I first get rid of the algae and then add salt? Do I wait until the water gets a bit warmer?

Any help would be appreciated!

Photo on 4-5-22 at 7.21 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-5-22 at 7.21 PM.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Here is a short get-well checklist:
1. No more pool store testing. Obtain your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. You can depend on those test results. Don't take action based on the free local testing.
2. An SWG cannot compete with algae. To kill algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process and use the proper amount of liquid chlorine continuously at the elevated SLAM level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.
3. Update your signature. See mine as an example.

Stick close to that SLAM Process, refer to the FC/CYA Levels once you test your own CYA so you know what FC level to maintain, and you'll do fine. Let us know if you have any questions.

Until you get a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C kit, simply add one gallon of liquid chlorine to the water each day. Brush well and watch your filter pressure to excessive increases. We recommend a backwash when the filter PSI increases by about 25%. Once you get the test kit, we can help you get very precise with the SLAM Process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.