SWG and Glacier Pool Chiller

jwkeychain

Jun 11, 2021
Central Illinois
First full summer with the pool in Central Illinois (construction finished last September). Early June and our pool already hits 96 degrees repeatedly. The pool gets direct sunlight from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and also has an autocover that remains closed unless in use (dark blue).
Back to the question, would a pool chiller such as the product from Glacier work reasonably in conjunction with the salt water from the pool, or have other people in similar situations found the corrosive nature of the water too much for longevity of the system (at which point I would evaluate removing the gas heater and looking at heat pumps that dual purpose heat/cold).

Thank you for the input!

I am in the same boat with you. 1st full summer and pool is way too warm. The manual states that the pool chiller is compatible with salt systems. It has some guidance around operating with salt water pools, they don't warrenty the fan motor or the pump if you are using it with a salt pool. I am going to buy one regardless. The cost to operate is almost nothing compared to a heat pump. The heat pump would essentially be like adding a 2nd A/C unit to your house and running it. The way I see it the monthly savings would way offset the cost of any parts needing replaced due to neglected maintence that lead to corrosion.

Here is the manual, you can read though it.

Attachments

• newer-glacier-pool-chiller-manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
The statement in the manual saying 'chlorine from saltwater pool is 5 times as corrosive as from regular chlorine" is a real doozy. I do agree as this is a swamp cooler of sorts and uses evaporation you will have salt build up in those areas that the evaporation occurs. You will also be using a lot more fill water, so be sure your fill water is of good quality. In my area, softened water would be a prerequisite for fill water if this device was used.

Thank you again for the feedback! And certainly appreciate the perspective regarding fill water.
The manufacturer claims "Yes. Our units are made of reinforced fiberglass, with stainless steel components. You can not harm the unit with salt residue, however extra care to maintain the cooler on your salt pool is necessary. Keep the cooler hosed down regularly to reduce salt build up and rusting."

Any practical experience with this equipment/experience would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! I have a Glacier Chiller GPC-215, which is the 45,000 gallon unit. Oversize is always best. In my build thread (linked within my signature), none of the sub-contractors thought I would need it. I don't know what they were thinking. Or they just got used to swimming in 90+ degree water. The pool was filled March 1, now on June 18, I need to get the chiller going. My pool water is hovering between 88 to 92 degrees. Yes, I have an auto-cover, although, tan, the water is still getting to warm for me.

I haven't started using the chiller, yet. But it's time. So, that is my next project. Meaning, rinse it out (it's been sitting in this windy Las Vegas environment), empty the basin from the rinse water then turn some valves and get the water flowing through the chiller. I purchased this thing to drop the water temp 5 - 10 degrees. I am hoping 10. Good luck with your decision.

I’ve had my Glacier for around 5 years, with a SWCG. Most of the unit is fiberglass or plastic, so there’s not much to worry about. I have noticed that the nuts and bolts on the water basin bracket are pretty rusted. I don’t know that it has anything to do with using a SWCG, as all pool water contains some level of salt. See picture below. I probably need to replace those or at least try to clean them up before they corrode completely.
I have a Glacier Chiller GPC-215, which is the 45,000 gallon unit. Oversize is always best.
I also wanted the GPC-215, but they were out of stock when I bought mine. I was worried that the 210 wouldn’t do the job, but it has performed perfectly, keeping our pool in the low 80s even when air temps are in the 100s.

1627230126544.jpeg

Reactions: duckcmmndr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.