SWFL Owner Builder, Shotcrete 1/15, Tile / Coping / Retaining wall started

CwD

Jul 8, 2020
Naples, FL
Hey all, I have been reading a-lot here there is so much valuable information. After a-lot of going back and forth on design we have finally submitted for permits to start our pool. The pool market here (like everywhere else I am sure) is in high demand and these guys are just slamming pools out left and right. I will be taking lots of pictures, and be the resident supervisor that nobody wants to deal with haha. I am attaching a copy of the plans and Below I will list my equipment;

Pentair Intelliflo VSF
Clean and Clear 150sqft
Easy touch 8 w/ screen logic
IC40
2hp blower
4 globrite lights
1 colorvision bubbler
2 pentair magic bowlswienk_res.jpgwienk_res1.jpgwienk_res2.jpg

Last edited:
The Easytouch is old tech, works, but the Intellicenter is new tech.

Also, Globrites. They fail, often. And are very expensive. I have two. Both are dead due to water intrusion. I would suggest using a generic 1.5" nicheless and researching better made lights.

I can't read some of the attachments so maybe it's listed but how many skimmers do you have? Will you have a lanai screen over the pool? 150sq ft is a small filter, can clean less often if it's larger. Also, the 3rd attachment looks like it says 320 inline chlorinator, not IC 40. Can't wait to see pictures :)

Last edited:
The Easytouch is old tech, works, but the Intellicenter is new tech.

Also, Globrites. They fail, often. And are very expensive. I have two. Both are dead due to water intrusion. I would suggest using a generic 1.5" nicheless and researching better made lights.

Looking into the intellicenter now.

Do you have any suggestions on any particular lights (Brands etc)?

Thank you!

I can't read some of the attachments so maybe it's listed but how many skimmers do you have? Will you have a lanai screen over the pool? 150sq ft is a small filter, can clean less often if it's larger. Also, the 3rd attachment looks like it says 320 inline chlorinator, not IC 40. Can't wait to see pictures :)

There is 1 skimmer next to the sunshelf. I was thinking about upgrading the filter for a few more $$. Originally I was going to do chlorine, but I was told the salt would be better for the kids. So I am all for that route. I wanted to post my equipment info here for these particular reasons, make changes before I order instead of regret later! haha

Reactions: TampaKathy
Do you have any suggestions on any particular lights (Brands etc)?
I have not changed my failed Globrites but I have done some research. The lights that I plan to try are from Florida Sunseeker. They are Pool Tone Nicheless. There are others. What drew me to the Pool Tone is a lower cost and also they claim all plastic. No seals to fail (which is the issue with the Globrite). They also are claimed to fit in to the Pentair proprietary nicheless receiver. Again, I would suggest you use a generic receiver.

If you wish to stay with Pentair lights, look into the Microbrite. It uses a standard 1.5" connection. Nothing proprietary.

I have ordered the Pool Tone lights to replace our Globrites. One is now leaking rust. No good.

Is you pool going to be in a cage? Get a larger filter. The bigger the better. At least the CC200 if not the CCP320 or CCP420.

Marty covered the Globrite issues and IntelliCenter.

Get the Intellicenter with the integrated SWG power center bundled with the IC40 cell and two Intellivalve actuators.

Reactions: mknauss
So I listened to your guys advice went with the IntelliCenter w/ic40 and changed the globrites to the microbrites. We dug yesterday and today they knocked out a good majority of form and steel.

I will get some more pics tomorrow when the sun is out!

Attachments

• A51EA2DD-300A-49ED-AC4E-0A38A127FBEA.jpeg
    A51EA2DD-300A-49ED-AC4E-0A38A127FBEA.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: TampaKathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So after a LONG bit of delays i finally got concrete. Ended up being 50yards, a little more than i wanted but with the delays the rain had washed my sun-shelf out quite a bit so it is pretty much shot solid concrete.

I have a plumbing question... I have a single CMP 20" ring main drain capable of 245gpm so the engineer had me run 4" piping to the drain. Reason being was if in the future i ever wanted to add a dedicated water feature pump i could tee off and have plenty of flow.

The pool guys + my good buddy who is a plumber are both "shocked" to say the least that i have a 4" coming out of the drains. Should i continue the 4" and reduce it near the equipment? Or reduce to 3" and then step down again at the equipment. The total run including horizontal and vertical is 36-40ft to the vsf pump.

Also there is a stub out in the spa for a spa makeup, i read with automation that they are more of a headache than anything, should i keep it or cap it? I am using an intelicenter.

Attachments

• IMG_7998.jpg
    IMG_7998.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8007.jpg
    IMG_8007.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8008.jpg
    IMG_8008.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Nikilyn
Cw,

If you're comfortable sharing the terms in your contract these can be as important as the pool itself. Since you've already signed it you can't change it easily but we may have some useful tips on how best to interface with the pool constructor. Also if there's any fine print or legalize you don't understand fully now would be a good time to learn. Please do black out any personal/confidential information before you post it.

Chris

Cw,

If you're comfortable sharing the terms in your contract these can be as important as the pool itself. Since you've already signed it you can't change it easily but we may have some useful tips on how best to interface with the pool constructor. Also if there's any fine print or legalize you don't understand fully now would be a good time to learn. Please do black out any personal/confidential information before you post it.

Chris

Well this is an owner builder pool so any problems for the most part will be my own to handle! This post is a little scary hoping you don't see something tremendously wrong.

Thank you

I have a plumbing question... I have a single CMP 20" ring main drain capable of 245gpm so the engineer had me run 4" piping to the drain. Reason being was if in the future i ever wanted to add a dedicated water feature pump i could tee off and have plenty of flow.

The pool guys + my good buddy who is a plumber are both "shocked" to say the least that i have a 4" coming out of the drains. Should i continue the 4" and reduce it near the equipment? Or reduce to 3" and then step down again at the equipment. The total run including horizontal and vertical is 36-40ft to the vsf pump.
For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec. For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138.............184 gpm

4”...........234.............313 gpm

So, it depends on the flow rate you intend to put through the pipe.

The Intelliflo can only get to about 140 gpm. So, there is probably no reason to go above 3".

If you go with the Intelliflo XF VSF, the flow can get to about 180 gpm. But, even then, the flow would probably not exceed about 138 in most cases.

I would recommend the Intelliflo XF VSF for your pool.

Clean and Clear 150sqft
There is 1 skimmer next to the sunshelf. I was thinking about upgrading the filter for a few more $$.

150 sq.ft is way too small.

Definitely go with a 400 to 500 square foot filter.

A single skimmer is not enough. I would do at least 2 and maybe 3 skimmers.

How much flow will you need for all water features?

Go with the Intelliflo XF pump in any case. The regular Intelliflo has a 2" suction whereas the XF model has built-in unions that take a 3" coupling to the outside. The XF model is a better overall pump.

150 sq.ft is way too small.

Definitely go with a 400 to 500 square foot filter.

A single skimmer is not enough. I would do at least 2 and maybe 3 skimmers.

How much flow will you need for all water features?

Go with the Intelliflo XF pump in any case. The regular Intelliflo has a 2" suction whereas the XF model has built-in unions that take a 3" coupling to the outside. The XF model is a better overall pump.

james,

thank you for the response and info. Unfortunately the shotcrete is already done and only 1 skimmer.

I already bought the pump as well the (VSF). I will see if I can return / exchange for XF

the water features are minimal, I have 2 18” shear descents and 1 bubbler.

the water features are minimal, I have 2 18” shear descents and 1 bubbler.
If those are the only features, then the 4" plumbing seems excessive.

Reason being was if in the future i ever wanted to add a dedicated water feature pump i could tee off and have plenty of flow.
I don't see any need for a dedicated pump for those features.

Sheers need about 10 to 20 gpm per foot.

3 feet of sheer descent will require about 30 to 60 gpm.

Sheers need filtered water to prevent debris getting clogged in the thin slit.

If you do a separate pump for the features, you would need a separate filter for the water.

Also, if you did a separate pump for the features and used the existing main drains, that would leave the filter pump with a single suction line, which is never a good idea.

Well this is an owner builder pool so any problems for the most part will be my own to handle! This post is a little scary hoping you don't see something tremendously wrong.

Thank you

Cw,

Sorry, I missed that... it's only the first words in the title duh! Some of the same contracting terms apply to OB. For example you want release of liens with final payment. Or are you actually self-performing?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.