Chelan, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I've had my pool and separate spa setup with ORP/Ph controlled SWCGs for the past 10 years and finally have had it with the hassles the ORP sensors bring to the system. After a lot of reading here I've disconnected the HCC2000 (pool) and Sense & Dispense (spa) systems and am getting things on track without them. Concerning the T-cell outputs I am wondering how the % settings actually work. It seems the cell is either on or off and the % setting refers to how long the cell runs per hour of pump time. ls this correct? If so how does this work? For example, if the t-cell is set at 10% does it run for 6 minutes out of every hour the pump is on? Do the t-cells keep track of the time? Thank you in advance for your help! This site has been a great help. This morning the pool is at 92*f, FC 6.0, TC 6.0, pH 7.7, TA 80, CH 350, CYA 80, NaCl 3000. Just need to get the t-cell (T-15) dialed in to maintain FC at 6-11. I have a single speed pump running 24/7 (electricity is very cheap here!)

From SWG Generation Cycle Times - Further Reading

• 180 minutes
At 70%, it will generate for 126 minutes and then it will stop generating for 54 minutes. While not generating, Prologic will say percentage met, or Aquarite will have the generating led stay on when the switch is in auto even when it's not actually generating. The instant salinity and the amps will be zero when not generating.

Then, it will reverse polarity and a new 180 minute cycle will begin[3]

Output is reduced to 20% at 60° F and output stops at 50°. When water temperatures drop below 60F, the unit basically has a cap of 20%. It does not reduce the output by 20%, as has been posted at times. Any setting from 100%-20% is set to 20% and anything less than 20% stays at the original setting.

With Firmware Revision 1.55 (5/8/2009) the cycle time (reverses polarity) changed from 120 minutes (2 hrs) to 180 minutes (3 hrs).

Reactions: Dr. T
Just for grins, the T-15 makes 1.45 lb/day running flat out. In a 12,000 gal pool this is 14.5 ppm. So suppose you know from testing that normal loss is 3 ppm per a day. Then you need a bit less than 1/5 the cell capacity to make up that loss. You can get that by running it 24 hours a day at 20% or 12 hours at 40% or 8 hours at 60% or... you get the idea. This is just a starting point. You'll need to test and tweak.

Last edited:
This is for a Circupool SWG (which has a 180 minute duty cycle), but other brands should be similar.

If the SWG has a 180 minute duty cycle and it is set to 50%, it is on for 90 minutes and off for 90 minutes. This cycle repeats for the timer or automation run times.

If you run your pump for 4.5 hours (270 minutes) and the SWG is powered the entire pump run time, the SWG will be on for 90 minues, off for 90 minutes and on for 90 minutes - for a total SWG run time of 180 minutes (3.0 hours) out of a 270 minute (4.5 hours) pump run time.

A few brands - Pentair being one - have much shorter on/off cycle times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. T
Just for grins, the T-15 makes 1.45 lb/day running flat out. In a 12,000 gal pool this is 14.5 ppm. So suppose you know from testing that normal loss is 3 ppm per a day. Then you need a bit less than 1/5 the cell capacity to make up that loss. You can get that by running it 24 hours a day at 20% or 12 hours at 40% or 8 hours at 60% or... you get the idea. This is just a starting point. You'll need to test and tweak.
Great explanation, thank you! You all are extremely helpful (y)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.