Swamp Help Please

Does is look like this
http://www.aquachem.com/mp/v/index.jsp? ... 7010aRCRD&
or
this
http://www.gatzies.com/p-35625-hth-25-l ... 7AodqGcAGA

They both make the word FILTER AID larger but they also say it's DE diatomaceous earth, the filter aid part is referencing the use in the sand filter. Basically it likely is all the same thing, it should list ingredients. You can get it at Lowe's and Homedepot, but i think they sell the huge box which would last you a lifetime. How much was in the box at the pool store?

Does is look like this
http://www.aquachem.com/mp/v/index.jsp? ... 7010aRCRD&
or
this
http://www.gatzies.com/p-35625-hth-25-l ... 7AodqGcAGA

Neither one of those. I tried to find a pic of it but couldn't. It had a red label and was in a white 4 or 5 pound bucket for $18. He did say it wasn't DE but I didn't read the ingredients. I guess it would do the same thing as DE, maybe just not as dramatically. I think I will look at walmart like techguy mentioned. Thanks.

This is what my local Wal-Mart has:

20130612_093344.jpg

Okay so the pool is clearing. It is just taking a very long time I guess. But it seems to be getting clearer everyday. I can now see the bottom of the shallow end. I didn't have a chance to add any de over the weekend. But I did pick up some so I will start adding some tonight and see where that gets me.

What you don't want is a false sense of security, then end up going backwards. Just as bad is you get everything clear but you still have a nascent algae problem hiding out from not making sure you meet all 3 criteria before stopping the shock process. You'll use way more chlorine, and wonder why.

If you add DE, keep an eye on your filter pressure. Sometimes they will quickly skyrocket in pressure due to pulling more debris out of the water. I recommend checking on it several times a day at first to make sure it's still in the proper range.

I know what your saying about the possible looming algae problem. At this point, its just a chance I have to take. If I can get it clear or close to it I will see about putting more money into it. And I plan to keep a close eye on the pressure once I add the de. And if I understand right, I can back flush before I go to bed to remove the de and continue to filter as normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So last night I used the de filter aid. It not actually DE. Its Economical D.E. Filter Media Alternative Cellulose Fiber. It seems to work pretty good. I can see further down into the pool this morning. Not much but definitely a small improvement. Hopefully this will continue to help and speed up the clearing. Just wish I had more than 4 or 5 hours a night to work with it. I'm going to try and use it this weekend also so I can monitor it all day.

Another successful pool! You are doing a great job! Wait until you look out and wonder where your water went! I did that one day. I ran out the door thinking something had happened and all of the wast had drained. NOPE! It was just that clear! LOL

Lol kimkats. That's funny. But yes I cant wait. It is looking even better today!!! And yes wmorge my pool clearing really responded to the DE. If its like mine you should notice a difference each day.

I want to thank everyone for your help and input so far. And to all the info on this forum, pool school, and pool calculator.

You should only add the amount of DE to increase your clean pressure reading by one PSI, more than this could be counter productive.
This is correct. That is what I've been doing and its been working well. Within 10 hours or so the pressure is up 5 to 8 psi. Time to backwash then. But its different each time it seems. Give or take a couple hours or a couple psi. None the less, Its working well for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.