Suspected air leak in Jandy valve

HO249

Jan 31, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
My pool has two skimmers. The returns from these terminate in a Jandy valve, from which a single pipe enters the pump. When I rotate the valve to the center position, there's an air leak that can't be primed out. However, if I turn the valve to the left or right (20 degrees or so), the air leak stops and the pump will prime completely. I suspect Jandy valve has a bad O-ring or needs to be rebuilt. Any suggestions? I appreciate your input.

Open the valve (8 screws, use a screwdriver), pull the handle off the stem, pull the stem out of the cap, and clean the "O" rings and socket. When done, put some lube on the stem, place the rings over the stem, put some lube on them. If the valve is older, I will wrap a couple of wraps of Teflon tape around the "O" rings, lube it, and put the valve back together. Be sure to carefully remove the lid "O" ring, place some lube on the lid and put it back. You should also be able to purchase new "O" rings at a pool supply store.

Do NOT use a power screw driver to re-install the screws. Hand tight is good. You would be surprised at how quickly and easily one of these valves, especially ones that could be as old as your pool, can be broken using power tools. A cracked valve can seldom be successfully repaired.

Open the valve (8 screws, use a screwdriver), pull the handle off the stem, pull the stem out of the cap, and clean the "O" rings and socket. When done, put some lube on the stem, place the rings over the stem, put some lube on them. If the valve is older, I will wrap a couple of wraps of Teflon tape around the "O" rings, lube it, and put the valve back together. Be sure to carefully remove the lid "O" ring, place some lube on the lid and put it back. You should also be able to purchase new "O" rings at a pool supply store.

Do NOT use a power screw driver to re-install the screws. Hand tight is good. You would be surprised at how quickly and easily one of these valves, especially ones that could be as old as your pool, can be broken using power tools. A cracked valve can seldom be successfully repaired.
Are there rebuild kits for these valves? Maybe have one on hand before disassy?

The best "rebuild kit" is to actually buy a new valve and replace the entire assembly minus the body. Jandy has priced their individual parts so that buying them separately is usually more expensive than just buying a valve. Even if you have 2" X 2.5" valves, you can buy the 1.5" X 2" ones and the parts will fit if that is the way you want to go. They usually cost a little less. You can purchase an aftermarket diverter kit and a separate lid on Amazon for about $28.00. I have no idea of the quality.

The best "rebuild kit" is to actually buy a new valve and replace the entire assembly minus the body. Jandy has priced their individual parts so that buying them separately is usually more expensive than just buying a valve. Even if you have 2" X 2.5" valves, you can buy the 1.5" X 2" ones and the parts will fit if that is the way you want to go. They usually cost a little less. You can purchase an aftermarket diverter kit and a separate lid on Amazon for about $28.00. I have no idea of the quality.
Ditto as above..same with the Hayward valves..buy the valve and use the guts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.