Surprised when looking for chlorine in Murrieta CA (SoCal) coming from FL

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Just an observation and surprise. We just moved from Central Florida to Murrieta Ca. I was looking to purchase some liquid chlorine and it's not sold in the 2.5 gal totes here. Used to get if for about $5 before. Not sold at Leslies either out here.
The home had a pool guy, we were offered to continue the contract, I declined. He had the pool pump running for 10 hours. No SWG or such, just a timer I was amazed. I'm going to swap it to a 2-speed motor, run it on low most of the time. High speed for spa use. Not sure why. Guess he wasn't paying the electric bill.

Looks like I'll be adding a SWCG soon. I'm leaning towards a Hayward unit.

Ordered my test kit and speed stir.

Bob

Hello waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over there! So no one sells liquid chlorine? or just not in the easy to carry jugs? If you buy your own jugs is there someone that will refill them for you?

A swg will be awesome though. Takes over adding the chlorine for you!

Did you leave your other test kit with your old pool?

I bet you find HIGH cya when you test your new pool!!!

We need to see your new pool please!!! Oh and update your location and pool details in your siggy.

Kim:kim:

Welcome to SoCal. I get my 10% chlorine at Home Depot. I always check the date code and usually find it about 4 weeks old. This varies by store and occasionally some 6-month old shows up.

If you are new to SoCal you may not be ready for our power rates. I'm on SCE and was paying as much as 31 cents per KWH but lower now that I'm on a time of day rate. You need to pick a plan that's best for you.

I considered installing a SWCG but when I compared all the costs, including electricity I went with a Stenner pump and liquid.

Hello All,
Been busy. Got my test kit. Very quick and responsive. Had a small hiccup, but properly resolved.

So just finished my first test. WOW! (Results to follow.)Called the guy who was taking care of the pool. He wasn't very helpful. Asked some specific questions CYA levels and such. He said don't worry about it. I'll take care of the pool. Yeap crossed him off my list.

I've got a cartridge filter (4 of them). Decided to clean them. FILTHY! They actually had dirt coming off them. Pressure is still very high to me (22 PSI).

Any ways here are my numbers:
Temp 55
FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
PH 8.2 or more
TA 240
CH 600
CYA off the charts. I tried a dilution of 7:1 (5ml R-0013/35ml water) still couldn't get to read the black dot.

What to do? I'm in Socal and water cost are very high.

Not sure the best way to manage it yet. Looks like a drain and fill possibly. Bite the bullet.

I would be sure the water sample for your CYA was room temperature but doubt it will make that much difference.

Your Location says Florida, but your post says California? Can you change your Location?
Also add a signature.

You will be draining. With those solids (CH and CYA) a water exchange without actually draining is very possible. If interested we can go over that.

Good to have a proper test kit.

Take care.

Lets lower that PH asap. We want to take care of that plaster and this is the most important thing right now.

Check to see if there is any RO (reverse osmosis) companies in your area. Get a quote from them to compare to how much it will cost to drain and refill your pool. Don't even bother with the stuff the pool store will try to sell you to lower the CYA. There are quite a few people who tired it and it did not work :(

Bobodaclown, can you please change your location where it is listed just under your name. I keep forgetting you moved LOL

You can try soaking your cartridges in TSP laced water. They may be coated with oils/sunscreen/etc. But you may want to source some new cartridges.

You are quick. Yeap. Going to home depot for MA and some dimmable LED bulbs and pool thermometer. Awaiting the arrival of a 2-speed motor to swap out. Low is the way to go, High if I need the jets on for the spa. Looking down the road for a SWCG.

Got one estimate on RO $550.

The RO will still leave you with +/-30% of your water volume needed to be replaced. So you need to add the cost of that water to the cost of the RO. You may need to add calcium and CYA after an RO service.

I wonder how that compares to the price of water there. Make sure to check if they give "credits" if you tell them you are draining and refilling a pool. Some times they will so..........can't hurt to ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a note - when you do the CYA dilution you don’t add less R-0013 to more pool water. You always mix those two in a 1:1 ratio. What you do is take a pool water sample and dilute that with distilled water. Then you use the diluted pool water sample to make the 1:1 mixture with the R-0013.

You might want to redo that CYA test again. Try diluting the pool water sample with distilled water 1:1 and see what you get.

You might also call around to local pool shops (Mom & pop shops are usually better) to see if any sell LC in 4x1 gallon refillable jugs. Usually you have to leave a deposit for the carrier and jugs but the LC is typically cheaper than the retail stuff and the refillable jugs means you don’t have empties to clog up your trash can. Pool service guys usually buy their chemicals in bulk like that from pool shops. Knowing California, their regulations might require you be licensed to use those chems but it never hurts to ask.

So MA here is the 1/2 strength stuff (10 Baum) 14% stuff. I'm used to the 20 Baum 30% stuff. 1/2 strength same price. Geeze.. better get used to it. :)

Really? Have you checked in the contractor area of a Home Depot or Lowes? Sometimes they put the “full strength” stuff there because they don’t think any “normal” person would ever need that high a concentration.

Did you look into any HASA distributors in your area? Also, farm supply stores will often sell high strength LC for cleaning purposes. Another option is cleaning supply stores - they often sell high strength (12.5-15%) LC to cleaning companies. Just tell them your in the crime scene cleanup business :D

Hi, I’m in SoCal too, I looked into RO, it was way more expensive than a 1/2 drain and refill. I called my water company, they gave me a discount on pool refill, I forget the details, but makes it much more doable.

Just a note - when you do the CYA dilution you don’t add less R-0013 to more pool water. You always mix those two in a 1:1 ratio. What you do is take a pool water sample and dilute that with distilled water. Then you use the diluted pool water sample to make the 1:1 mixture with the R-0013.

You might want to redo that CYA test again. Try diluting the pool water sample with distilled water 1:1 and see what you get.

Thank you. Do'h I should have known that. Will retest with proper procedures. Dilute pool water then R-0013...

If I figured this out correctly worst case would be about $160 to fill the pool. Doesn't seem that bad actually.
water fee is $6.73 (Tier 4) per HCF (Hundred Cubic Feet), 1 HCF = 748 Gallons.
17000 Gallon pool (estimated) / 748 = 22.73
22.73 * $6.73 = 152.97 ~ $160

Hopefully I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.