dpala

Mar 28, 2023
Toronto
Hey there, I have a current setup of two switches - one for pump and one for heater. Everything’s on 240v. Looking to automate with the WiFi timer and just want to make sure wiring is correct.

Attachments

• 1FB49B04-8A11-4BDB-86AB-2A83BA880A7C.jpeg
    1FB49B04-8A11-4BDB-86AB-2A83BA880A7C.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 41
  • F51190ED-F777-4B65-A3CA-D4754F9A318E.jpeg
    F51190ED-F777-4B65-A3CA-D4754F9A318E.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 41
Hey there, I have a current setup of two switches - one for pump and one for heater. Everything’s on 240v. Looking to automate with the WiFi timer and just want to make sure wiring is correct.
System won't work if wired according to your diagram. If you wire it that way your red/black and grey/black will cross-phase (cause a short) and at the very least trip the breaker. More likely it will destroy the device, the wiring, and possibly harm you.
If you're not familiar with high-voltage wiring, please find someone who is and have him/her do this for you. You get one chance to do it right.

Last edited:
I have a current setup of two switches - one for pump and one for heater. Everything’s on 240v.
d,

Show us a pic of your "switches"...

Most normal switches do not switch 240 volts AC. If you use a standard switch for 240 you would only control one leg of the 240, which is never a good plan.

Show us what you have and maybe someone here can get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
d,

That will work...

The downside is that you are only turning off half of the AC going to the loads. That may, or may not, be allowed by code in your area. Someone might think there is no power going to the loads and could get shocked if they tried to work on the loads.

That said, your pump and your heater will turn on at the same time when the controller is told to close the relays.

Thanks,

Jim R.

d,

Yes, but you'd need two controllers.. or a controller with 4 relays.

Basically you would need 4 sets of contacts.. You currently only have two sets of contacts.

A lot of things are wired so that they are controlled by only switching half of the AC power on and off. It works fine, it is just something that you need to be aware of for safety concerns. Your current manual switches may, or may not, be currently wired this way. Do you know if your current switches control both L1 and L2 AC power, or if they just control L1 or L2?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, I see what you mean. I went through the wiring diagram of a single load at 240V and see that there's the ability to disconnect both sides with each of the two relays.

To your question, I believe the answer is the former. Right now I have 4 very thin breakers, each with a single line, coming into the two switches (2 for each). I'm assuming the safety factor concern is at the same level for the new proposed setup as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 10.42.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 10.42.28 AM.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 7
d,

You do have an odd set up.. Normally a 240 volt breaker takes up two breaker slots and they are tied together with a single handle. So if one side pops the breaker, both sides open up. In your case it appears that you have 4 single breakers. :scratch:

Your above diagram shows that your current switches control both L1 and L2 phases of your 240 Volts AC. That is how you are supposed to turn 240 VAC on and off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds good...yeah, I'm not confident the electrician had the right equipment when he came and probably just made a solution with what he had.

Any recommendation of what double pole break amp I should use? I have this connected in the house to a 40a double breaker.

The two legs of a 240V CB should be the same amperage and the levers connected together so that if one leg trips both legs are shut off.

It sounds like like you have two single pole CBs feeding the two legs of a 240V circuit without a tie between the levers.

Post pics of the CB panel and CBs you are discussing.

Also, the wire size feeding the breaker must be adequate for the CB amperage. A 20 amp CB must have at least 12 gauge wire. A 40 amp CB must use at least 8 AWG wire. Using a 40 AMP CB with 12 gauge wire is dangerous. Circuit breakers primary purpose is to protect the wires, not the device, from overheating and causing fires.

There are many things about this discussion that raise safety concerns.

d,

Different breakers go into different brands of panels. The size (amperage) of a breaker is determine by the size of the wire it is connected to, and not the load at the end of the wire.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.