SuperFlo VST with Intelliconnect

bubby4113

Mar 26, 2020
South Carolina
Hi all -

Was hoping to get some help or direction, since Pentair customer service completely misled me....

I just replaced my old single stage pump with the new SuperFlo VST (manufactured summer of last year) at the advice of Pentair customer service. I specifically told them on numerous occasions that I had the intelliconnect automation. I apoke not only with the Pump division, but also the Automation division on multiple occasions.

They had me buy the separate automation cable to allow wiring to my intelliconnect (essentially it is still Relay one even though it is no longer wired directly into it).

I'm now being told (after installing today), that I CANNOT control it as a variable pump remotely and can only do single stage - I'm so irritated because I would have spend the extra few hundred and gotten an Intellifo if they had told me upfront.

I have a small 10K gallon pool so running it at 1800 rpm for 8 hours isn't a big deal. My issue is when the kids want to swim and I want to heat it up fast, I'd like the 3400spm option to kick in (I can set that as the "quick cycle/run" - however, I can't change it remotely so when the wife calls me at work it seems Id have to have her manually change it, then call me to activate the heater.

Am I missing something?

Hi Jim

My understanding is that decreasing the RPMs will save on energy (squared) but decrease the flow rate proportionally. My heater is gas and will
Be the same cost per hr no matter what.

I didn’t clarify - when I heat the pool I’m usually looking to do it as fast as possible (impatient little kids). By heater is a 400k btu so way oversized, but great for fast heating with a small pool.

So now my dilemma is it will heat up more slowly if on the standard settings of lower rpm’s.

As long as the flow rate is sufficient for the heater to operate, it will heat the pool. Fine tuning the flow rate for max efficiency is possible, but does not make enough difference if you do not have automation to easily change flow rate.

Your heater will put out the same BTUs (heat) which go into the water regardless of pump RPM and flow.

A low flow will give greater exit temperature since the water spends longer in the heater. But hot water at low flow or warm water at high flow gives the same amount of heat to the pool.

As long as the heater is running you are heating the pool as rapidly as it can.

Hi all -

Was hoping to get some help or direction, since Pentair customer service completely misled me....

I just replaced my old single stage pump with the new SuperFlo VST (manufactured summer of last year) at the advice of Pentair customer service. I specifically told them on numerous occasions that I had the intelliconnect automation. I apoke not only with the Pump division, but also the Automation division on multiple occasions.

They had me buy the separate automation cable to allow wiring to my intelliconnect (essentially it is still Relay one even though it is no longer wired directly into it).

I'm now being told (after installing today), that I CANNOT control it as a variable pump remotely and can only do single stage - I'm so irritated because I would have spend the extra few hundred and gotten an Intellifo if they had told me upfront.

I have a small 10K gallon pool so running it at 1800 rpm for 8 hours isn't a big deal. My issue is when the kids want to swim and I want to heat it up fast, I'd like the 3400spm option to kick in (I can set that as the "quick cycle/run" - however, I can't change it remotely so when the wife calls me at work it seems Id have to have her manually change it, then call me to activate the heater.

Am I missing something?
Did you find an answer to this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.