VTPooler

Jul 30, 2020
Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. My Pentair SuperFlo VS stopped working at the end of last season. It's not receiving power. I'm using 110 for it. I troubleshot by plugging into different outlets, but it's dead.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how I can diagnose the issue and if I can fix it myself. I believe the issue is the drive, although I suppose it could be the wiring. Nothing has changed on the wiring though, and things look in tact, so wiring issue seems unlikely to me. I don't have a volt meter and have never really delved much into electrical, but could definitely pick up a voltmeter and would mess with the wiring if it's not too difficult. Any suggestions you guys have on diagnosis / fixing would be much appreciated.

If the issue is the drive, I can prob save about $300-$350 replacing it myself (~$625 on Amazon vs $900-$1000 installed by dealer). If I go the dealer route, the other thing I'm wondering is it worth $1000 to replace the drive, or should I just get a different pump? I really do like the way this SuperFlo VS operates, but the drive did just go on it. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure why it went either, or if it's something that is likely to happen again. Pentair says, "No", but what else are they going to say? :) Any thoughts there would be great as well. The pump is 5 yrs old.

I took some photos from under the drive cover. Looking at them, I don't think they'll help much, but they are here nonetheless.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• PumpWires1.jpg
    PumpWires1.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PumpWires2.jpg
    PumpWires2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 8
You really should find someone with a multimeter who is comfortable working with it to confirm you have 120/240 volts at the pump power screws.

It usually makes more sense just replacing the pump then buying a new drive since you don't know what other problems the pump may have that lead to the premature drive failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.