"Summerizing" In-Ground Pool?

DanL

Nov 23, 2016
Las Vegas NV
New to pools. Just bought house in Las Vegas with in-ground, rectangular, 3ft to 6ft max depth, 15kG pool, 1.5kG overflow spa. I searched for pool shutdown on this site, but my need is opposite winter shutdowns. We are in Vegas and use the pool Oct thru April, but gone May thru Sept. I know this sounds strange, but what is best way to shut down pool during the hot summer? I can arrange to have someone do weekly minor maintenance, but want to minimize the cost of a full maintenance service guy on an unused pool.
Have a bubble-wrap type pool cover...leave covered or uncovered? Can solar be run at night for cooling if needed? Can pool be drained/part drained in this climate/type of pool?
Perhaps silly idea: Water use for landscape irrigation is high during summer (more than double the winter use). Was thinking about installing irrigation pump to draw off pool water to feed the irrigation system. May thru Sept water use avg is 18kG/mo...that's just for irrigation and pool evaporation because house water is shut off when we're not here. So in one month, the whole pool and spa would be more than drained for irrigation use! Hard to believe. As I write this, it now has me thinking about leakage.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I do think there is risk of damage to the plaster if the pool is drained and left empty during the hottest part of the year. If you decide to use the pool water for irrigation you would still need to chlorinate it to keep it from turning green. Since you are watering landscaping I assume you have someone who comes to tend the yard? Any chance they could throw some chlorine in while they are there and save the cost of a pool service?

I do think there is risk of damage to the plaster if the pool is drained and left empty during the hottest part of the year. If you decide to use the pool water for irrigation you would still need to chlorinate it to keep it from turning green. Since you are watering landscaping I assume you have someone who comes to tend the yard? Any chance they could throw some chlorine in while they are there and save the cost of a pool service?

Thanks for the responses. I'm now thinking about maybe turning off the pool feed water, then pumping out the pool water for irrigation until the pool is empty. If my estimates are correct, the pool should be pumped out in about three to four weeks. Then clean and refill the pool when we return. There is someone there weekly to check the watering, etc., who could also chlorinate as needed.

The key questions are 1. does this generally sound like a reasonable plan?, 2. will the plaster and fittings be OK when exposed in Las Vegas summer heat?

Cost of refill water is much less than even 1 month of pool service, so 5 months of "down time" would be worth the effort.

I do not think the plaster will be very happy exposed to the sun and heat BUT do not know for sure. I have not seen anyone that has done it for a long period of time.

I would see about getting a SWG as seen here: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Teach your person that will be there to do the tests and go from there.

Let us know what you decide to do and let us know the end results so we will know in the future.

Kim:kim:

Just found out the company that installed the pool. Called them about emptying the pool. Their response was that the plaster needs to stay hydrated or it will crack, especially in the heat. The warranty is voided if the pool is left empty for more than two days (for service, cleaning).
That changes the whole plan.
Leaving the pool filled and minimizing maintenance - "mothball mode" - is now the objective.
I will look at SWG's. Any thoughts on the Liquidator?
Thanks.

Kim:kim:[/QUOTE]

I have vacation home in Florida that we use about every other month for a week at a time. Had no real choice but to hire a pool service. Just have to find one that is willing to use your method and have a mutual understanding of maintenance. I use a small one-man and wife pool company and works out well for me. With the SWG he pretty much just comes by checks PH and brushes and vacuums once a week. Keeps notes for me and advises if anything else is needed. Wouldn't have even though of draining even for 4 months.

Back to this topic....the need to "summer-ize".
Per TFP info, changed pool water, switched to a Stenner pump to feed chlorine bleach (works phenomenally great) and monitor water with TFP test kit. The pool is pretty much on auto pilot now, but I do need to add some acid every few days. Water is now a balmy 88F, perfectly clear and stable.
Will need to shut it down by mid-May. Here's my plan - comments/feedback much appreciated:
- Switch circulation to night time schedule, using solar system to cool water.
- Neighbor will skim pool once per week or two, check Cl and pH, keep bleach reservoir full, add acid and adjust Stenner chlorine feed time as needed. That's what I do weekly now (the TFP method is working great).
- One question is whether to use plastic bubble pool cover. It's easy on/off for weekly check, but not sure if it would be helpful or not.
Pool will go 2-4 months in "mothball" mode.
Is there an easier summer "mothball" plan? I did do a site search, but found little hot season mothball info.
(see sig line for system info)
Thanks.

I am on the fence with the pool cover. Does your neighbor really want to mess with it? That would add some time to their work AND it would increase the water temps I think BUT it would help with evaporation so that might make it worth while.

Make sure the neighbors know where you like to keep the water level so they will know when to add water.

I am on the fence with the pool cover. Does your neighbor really want to mess with it? That would add some time to their work AND it would increase the water temps I think BUT it would help with evaporation so that might make it worth while.

Make sure the neighbors know where you like to keep the water level so they will know when to add water.

OK...will not use the pool cover. Pool has auto level/fill, and that has always worked well.
Now to figure out a night cooling cycle on the solar system....
Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.