Summer Challenges - How to supplement for an undersized SWG

Jason245

Jul 27, 2019
Fort Lauderdale FL
So As best as I can tell, My SWG is undersized for my pool (It came with house so I was not the one who sized it).

I have run a number (and will run again) over night chlorine checks, but it seems that the extreme UV of south florida, combined with the fact that my pool doesn't get that much shade, combined with me keeping the pool water at between 82-85 degrees leads to me having to regularly supplement chlorine into the pool during the summer. (at least the last 2 which is when I started managing the pool myself).

The good news is that my pool water has remained crystal clear since I started taking care of the pool.

Current information:
Pool is about 10k Gallons
Pool is in a screened in patio, which reduces debris getting into the pool.
My SWG produces about 0.4PPM Chlorine/hour (I am running it 23 hours a day now at 100%, Max output is 0.8 LBS/Day ).
CYA is currently at 80.
As of this morning, FC is at 4.0 CC is 0. (I am targeting trying to keep my FC at about 5PPM)
SALT - 3500PPM per SWG, 3290PPM per independent test strip.

When I took over the pool in June, I did a SLAM, and then had to regularly supplement with Chlorine. From about December to March I did not need to supplement the SWG with chlorine at all (in fact i reduced the run time), Since then it seems I have had to supplement and increase run time to the point where I am now at (23 hours a day about to just run it non-stop at 100%).

While it seems somewhat Crazy to me that I would lose upwards of almost 10PPM (assuming that chlorine output is actually producing that full amount) a day, it seems to be the only answer I have (maybe driven by Rain, pollen and very high UV exposure in south Florida as well as the water temp).

For now, I have just accepted this reality (because I don't really have a choice) and am trying to figure out the best way to continue to supplement the what appears to be an undersized SWG. (I figure I will end up using about 1 Gallon a week which is probably an extra 10PPM of chlorine being added/week). Based on my other observations, I am losing between 5-10 PPM of CYA a month which looks like natural expected loss.

Options I am considering:
1. Continue to just supplement with liquid Chlorine - Concern is storage, supply at local stores. Cost - ~$3bucks a week
2. 3"Pucks - Advantage is I can stick 2 in a floater and just let them disperse the extra 10PPM/Week, also will help with natural SWG PH rise, also storage life - Disadvantage is that it will increase my CYA, which is already at top end of where it is suggested. Cost is ~$4 a week.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions as to how to proceed?

Only other thought I have is that, I think when this unit dies, I will be looking for something that can produce at least 1.6 - 2 LBS/Day max output to eliminate this problem.

Last edited:
Technically your SWCG should be able to add the 3-5 ppm FC your pool needs each day. Some SWCG's are susceptible to lower FC production than rated when the salinity is in the lower end of their operating range. Getting a Taylor K1766 test kit for salinity is suggested as it would allow you to know what the real salinity of your water is.

You might try turning off the SWCG for a couple days and just use liquid chlorine to see what your FC loss is. Or, run the SWCG over night (say 9pm to 6am) as an Overnight Chlorine Rise Test to see what the SWCG is really creating.

With warm water temperatures your CYA will degrade 5-10 ppm per month. Plus I suspect you get some amount of overflow during rain storms. So you might try one or two pucks a month during the summer to see if that sufficient.

It would be a good idea to get a 30K or larger rated SWCG next time.

Technically your SWCG should be able to add the 3-5 ppm FC your pool needs each day. Some SWCG's are susceptible to lower FC production than rated when the salinity is in the lower end of their operating range. Getting a Taylor K1766 test kit for salinity is suggested as it would allow you to know what the real salinity of your water is.

You might try turning off the SWCG for a couple days and just use liquid chlorine to see what your FC loss is. Or, run the SWCG over night (say 9pm to 6am) as an Overnight Chlorine Rise Test to see what the SWCG is really creating.

With warm water temperatures your CYA will degrade 5-10 ppm per month. Plus I suspect you get some amount of overflow during rain storms. So you might try one or two pucks a month during the summer to see if that sufficient.

It would be a good idea to get a 30K or larger rated SWCG next time.

Do you have an example of a 30k unit. Best I can come up with is looking at chlorine production/day numbers. And by my simple math, If I double production from where it is I should be fine, and if I do more I should be fully covered. How much would a 30k unit produce/day? (these unit size ratings seem to be questionable in my opinion, I believe my unit says up to 20 or 25k gallons.)

While I didn't use the Taylor K1766 (don't have it, and to be honest, it looks like a messy disaster to do... lol), I did run a Salt Test Strip, and since both the strip and the SWG sensor both are within the margin of error and above minimum required salt levels... I don't think that is an issue.

I am too scared to Risk going all liquid... I have watched my neighbors pool turn green about every other week. May do an overnight production test.

Other issue I seem to face in the summer is the SWG screen filter getting clogged about every 2-3 days with debris. Causes flow issue and turns off SWG for however long it is before I discover the issue. Going to have to start hosing it clean every 2 days as preventative maintenance. (The joys of pool ownership!!!)

Nothing should be getting to your SWCG. If you are getting debris there, your cartridge filter has an issue.

The K1766 is the best way to test salinity. There are electronic testers that cost ~$200.

Many folks here without automation systems use Circupool SWCG's. See Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Nothing should be getting to your SWCG. If you are getting debris there, your cartridge filter has an issue.

The K1766 is the best way to test salinity. There are electronic testers that cost ~$200.

Many folks here without automation systems use Circupool SWCG's. See Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

So just looked at one if those rated for 30k gallons and it has an output of 1.5lbs per day.. which means my own estimates were not way off.. :)

There is a metal screen to catch debris before it gets to the swgc.. it says to clean it regularly.. looks like my regular is every 2 days for the near future.. having the kids swim in the pool every day thanks to covid quarantine isnt helping my chlorine needs situation either. Lol

Like I said, if anything is getting to that screen on the SWCG, you have a problem with one or more of your cartridge filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.