Suggestions Appreciated - Bid In

The Hayward pump you mentioned earlier will work fine so long as you don’t have any water features. I didn’t see any listed. I have more or less the same pump on a much bigger pool. I have been very pleased with it. It doesn’t like being turned on within 15 seconds of being turned off (manually). If throws an error. I turn off the breaker for a bit then reset. But I can manage that limitation. And coming back on after a power outage ours throws an error sometimes. Thankfully that would only matter if we are on vacation. That issue may not be specific to the pump, but I don’t know that, or it may just be my pump/setup. I’ve yet to install a surge suppressor in the outdoor panel, though I know better than to be without it. VS pumps are sensitive to that.

We are almost to the finish line before signing a contract.
We want a salt water pool.
We asked the PB for an automation and were given Omnilogic Digital Controls w/iphone capabilities. I was looking for an automation, mainly for pool balance.
He forgot to add the SWG in the quote

After hunting and pecking around this site I read about the Hayward Sense and Dispense system which uses a Stenner pump.
Went to the Hayward site. AquaRite Pro is mentioned. I saw the long long discussion and diagrams on this product on this site.

I want to get all the right set up for a salt water pool. Our equipment going in is all Hayward.
At this point I don't know what automated system is the best for the SWG.
The Hayward site has all these options. I am not tech savvy to understand all these. I just want to order the right set up so when the pool is built, I won't say I need xyz to do jkl but am missing something. !! Help is appreciated.

I would get the Hayward Omni PL with the Tcell 940 SWG.

Will I still need to get the Hayward Sense and Dispense system which uses a Stenner pump? Or do these advanced systems have all that included? Pool is 11000 gallons.

Found this thread with more info on the OmniPL which just came out a few months ago.

What type of pool are you building?

Sense and Dispense is a separate product that can be connected to automation. That type of system has its own maintenance requirements. If not properly operated and maintained it can wreck havoc with your pool.

Hubby is reading up on things. He's the tech savvy guy. He can figure it out when it's all Greek to me.
We are building a rectangle 12 X 38 salt water pool with steps out of that rectangle. Sports bottom pool. Everything on the bid is Hayward.
We made a few changes and are on our second bid now. . . The info is from this link (Less than a month ago)

• How many more bids do you have? You should have 3 minimum.
  • What does lifetime warranty mean?
  • All the structural miscellaneous details about beam size, concrete strength etc are meaningless. Just make sure the design is stamped by a registered professional engineer, meets all codes and the price includes all permits that will be obtained by the builder.
  • Get references and check them.
  • Make sure you understand every word of the contract including your obligations and the builders
  • Make sure the payment schedule is fair to you and builder.
  • Don't agree to make final payment until you have agreed it passes a simple, practical performance test.
  • Don't start until you have a complete scope of work that is priced.
I hope this helps.

Chris
Chris, thank you. There's so much going into a pool build. I thought it strange one bid was done when we weren't firm on anything. I guess they have to get their customers pushed along. Two weeks after contact and a bid comes in, no matter what. At least that seems to be what we experienced.
Thank you for the tips and reminders. We will follow them. I also found this link I saved, really good information and what to think about with a pool build -- Page down past the great looking pools:

Last edited:
The pool was marked out today. At the same time we were given the plan -- I copied it to share and see if we missed anything. As I see it, the two small walls on one side are uneven. We didn't see the outflow marked. In spite of not wanting a pool light and not having it in the contract, it's on the plan.

Are the returns in good spots?
My thanks in advance

Attachments

• Data2020.jpg
    Data2020.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PoolMeasurements2020.jpg
    PoolMeasurements2020.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry. The paperwork we got was all on one huge two page flier. It was a chore copying it.. .
Oh I saw the chiller isn't compatible with the system. ?? Eight days before they dig.

Attachments

• Reduced.jpg
    Reduced.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 20
I like what I see! Nice job!!

Make sure they fix the plans and shred the old ones that are wrong. For some reason the wrong plans tend up being the ones used by the subs :roll:

I can't wait to hear what the PB has to say about the chiller??? You would think he would talk to you about it not working with your system instead of just making a note on the plans.

Sollace,

I don't remember seeing a Sense and Dispense system in your original bid.. :scratch:

We almost universally advice against them... They sound great, but in practice will end up being more of a pain then they are worth..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, we changed things around since we first started this journey. It was figuring out what we want, what is important, and learning. Changing our minds! No, the Sense and Dispense I read about and some say it's great (on this forum) so I thought we'd add it in. I don't know if it's something we can leave unpluged until we need it?

Of course they added the pool light, which I never wanted. I don't know if that was a requirement for a city permit.

What type of chiller works with our system?

Thanks Kim )
We are tiling the first step to shorten that 10" drop from the coping. !! That'll lift the first step out of the water. We also changed the configuration so we can put up a volleyball net, breaking up the wall, and moving some umbrella dowels to make that happen. The steps are 7' wide. Hard to imagine. Lots of places to sit and chill.

Now that things have firmed up on our adventure in all things pool. . .

We signed the contract September 25th or so.
Back yard pool area marked out 10/20
Dig scheduled for 10/28
Pool tile all decided on today, 10/22 Master Tile Isola Series - MASISOELEB 6 (waterline) and MASISOSAR MOS 2 (Columns) Aqua Bella unglazed 2" cream tile for the 12" X 7' first step which is out of the water (non-skid).

SWEET PICKS!!! I know you have been reading a lot on here but am still going to say what I say to everyone just in case you have not read it yet:
With those pretty tiles you NEED to open up the boxes as soon as they get there and take each and every tile out. Some will be oh so pretty and you will want those put on the eye sight area. Then there will be some ugly ones you will want to hide so they do not get use. If you want total control go as far as to decide how and where you want them place for the whole pool. I did not use to talk about going this far until one build the tilers put all of the lighter tiles together and all of the darker tiles together. It looked AWFUL!!!! Even the PB could not believe theye did that and he helped pick and place each and every tile when they came back out to replace it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.