Suds and the mystery of Phosfree and Algecide...

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
~8000 gal SWG inground pool. Hayward DE filter. Passive solar heating.....This is my 5th season with the pool.

I just installed a new T-Cell. Leslie's said that my chlorine was a bit low, so I tossed a puck into the skimmer. For the first few days, the pool was crystal clear though it did have a very slight trace of algae along one side. I brushed it off hoping that between the new Cell and the puck I'd get it licked.

It did initially, but now the pool has an ever so slight, cloudy appearance. To add to the mess, I put in some "Austins Pool Tech algaecide" which is Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride - 4.98% and Dialkyl methyl benzyl ammonium chloride 0.02%.

Now 24 hours later the pool is still cloudy and has a slight film of suds. It's not an enormous amount, but I've never had suds before. Boy, can I screw up a good thing or what??

Leslies' tells me that my chemistry is Dang near perfect and only recommended adding Phosfree or some other chem to lower the Phosphate level. They said that I had a high level of organics in the pool and that my neighbors' trees might be the culprit. My neighbor has a huge river birch that pukes a million little doo-dads into my pool each spring. It takes that tree about a week or two to rid itself of its quinoa and refrain from soiling my pool. And since all of their stuff is usually hideously marked up, I passed on that.

1. Should I be concerned about this and if so, is there a decent product (cheap) to lower phosphates?
2. Was the algaecide a bad idea?
3. Will the suds eventually go away or do I need to add something to offset the effect of the algaecide?

No need to bother with phosphates if you follow the FC/CYA Levels and never let your FC fall below minimum.

The algaecide you used put ammonia into your pool. That consumes chlorine, Alot of it.

You need to SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. As a forum member since 2014, have you ever purchased one? Let us know. If you need to order one or get refills, I suggest adding 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day until you are able to test your pool water.

Take care.

Howdy fellow 757'er! Marty is right on. You definitely want to stay out of Leslie's and handle the chemicals and testing yourself. You certainly want to pick up a TF-100 test kit, see Test Kits Compared. Once we know good, reliable numbers from your own testing, we can provide an action plan.

I have purchased a TF-100 kit, but life has prevented me from learning how to use it. I travel for a living and time at home is often limited. And I am lazy. Truth is, my pool has been clean as a whistle for the majority of the time that I have owned the house. While I have had other issues (mostly plumbing, etc) water chem generally hasn't been a problem. I'll endeavor to get off my tail and get my learn on. In the meantime, I added a puck to the skimmer and the pool is once again crystal clear and now sudsless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.